PLEASE HELP ME

Moderator: Mods

ShayBree

PLEASE HELP ME

Post by ShayBree »

Hey i have just recently purchased a white indian ring neck he?she is 10 weeks old and the owner said it was hand raised it is very timid and wont stay on me it always flys away is it to old to train because it seens to be making no progress and how often should i handle it and what exercises will help it be more friendly
Molossus2

Re: PLEASE HELP ME

Post by Molossus2 »

Bird behaves as though it were parent raised. Be patient. Restrict the bird to it's cage for now. Approach slowly when you are feeding and attending it. speak calmly so the bird starts to relate to you. It will eventually settle and you can start to enjoy your pet.
Lauren
Site Admin

Re: PLEASE HELP ME

Post by Lauren »

Sometimes even hand raised birds can be shy. Ive had a few like this even though handled daily they still get 'flighty' around new humans. Remember this is early days. Your new bird doesnt know you or the environment its in. Its probably still in shock that its whole life has changed. Imagine being him/her. Think of this as baby steps. You are building a relationship and it will take time. Sit by the cage, chat and offer treats until s/he is comfortable with you there, then you can take the next step of letting it explore you, your hands and the new environment. Getting it to step up onto your finger/hand is the 1st command young birds should learn. When you get past the initial fright. I would suggest clipping its wings. It will make training/taming much easier. Baby steps and patience. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year