Hi there

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Darkshowers

Hi there

Post by Darkshowers »

Hi.

Our family just got a four month old, blue Indian Ringneck and he's a huge hit already. He was hand raised by his previous owner but they just did not have to dedicate to it. I haven't even decided on its name yet. So far we've made much progress and I was able to take it out of the cage and on my finger, shoulder and it's only the second day. He/she is also really quiet for the most part but that may change as it grows older.

The only concern I have so far is that this Ringneck likes to bite quite a bit. It seems to be more of a curious bite than an angry bite but it still really hurts. I will post pictures as soon as I can, thanks everyone!
slky01

Re: Hi there

Post by slky01 »

How old is he? My female went through a nippy stage at about 2 1/2 months, hope that is the extent of it. I know you aren't suppose to "be mean" back, but I did rap her on the beak with my finger and tell her no, a couple times. Just out of reflex, before I read that. She did stop trying to bite, but still gets aggravated and nippy. I grab her beak or touch her beak with my finger and tell her no, be nice. Course I play rough with her, wrestle with her beak and grab her head and tease her, she teases back, too. It's hard to ignore pinchers that size. I also clipped her wings, (first 5 feathers up to second row) so I didn't lose her. From what I have read, they are strong flyers, and can achieve some distance. Even with the clipping, she has learned to fly and manuevers the house just fine. She is now 5 months old. Only in her cage at night, other than bed time, she is out all day. She eats off my plate, bathes in the sinks, torments and teases my yorkie, ( who is scared of her, she is such a bully). He'd like to play, but can't quite figure out how. Make sure you handle him alot, play wwith him with a towel, too, so he isn't afraid of it. That way if he has to handled with a blanket or wrap, he's not freaked out. Contratulations on your "Little Boy Blue"!!
Pamela S Morgan
pinkdevil

Re: Hi there

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi Darkshowers. The fun part (and hard part) is choosing a name. I am hopeless to names. I think of something I think is cool or fitting then I end up calling him/her by the nickname and it eventually sticks. :roll: :lol: