Brand new Ringneck owner!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

paandajean

Brand new Ringneck owner!

Post by paandajean »

Hi there! I adopted an Indian Ringneck today - I named him Alastor.
Alastor has one eye, that the rescue told me was damaged, so he's VERY skiddish due to a sight problem. Not sure how old he is either. He fell asleep within the first 10 minutes of getting home - so I'm sure he's quite comfortable. :mrgreen:

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi!
Melika

Re: Brand new Ringneck owner!

Post by Melika »

Welcome! Alastor sounds fairly comfortable to be sure.

Perhaps to help with his skittishness, let him know when you're coming, make a soft noise so you don't surprise him. Use vocal commands before putting your hand near him to 'step up' and things like that. I ask Hane if he wants to come out before putting my hand in his cage (if he doesn't, he moves to the back of his cage and I respect that).

When someone picks us up, we like to know where we are going. I find Hane is no different in that respect. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
paandajean

Re: Brand new Ringneck owner!

Post by paandajean »

Thank you!

I've been making whistling noises when I get up as to not startle him. I can come up to the cage and talk to him and he looks directly at me, very calmly. But he's definitely afraid of hands. He'll climb to the back top of his cage.

I've gotten him to eat peach and apple from my hand, through the cage bars; but he backs away after every bite. Improvement, but a work in progress. It's going to be awhile before the 'step up' phase. :)
I had a mirror in his cage that he was SUPER into - I took it out so he wouldn't get disassociated with me. What are some good toys for him? I'm currently waiting on his cement perch to come in, but I was thinking something like this:

http://www.birdguys.com/busy-birdie-pla ... a_7c244336

that he can be comfortable on a perch [I've only seen him in the bottom of his cage twice] but still have something to play with (and hopefully not destroy?). I have a full-time job, I definitely want him to not be bored. :)