WARNING...Do no try this @ home....

Moderator: Mods

ShirleyBird

WARNING...Do no try this @ home....

Post by ShirleyBird »

Shirley had recently grown her wings back and was able to fly laps around our open floor plan house. This of course was dangerous due to possibility of escape and our 2 inside dogs( cocker spaniel and silky who are banned to the laundry room when the birds are out), not to mention the other dangers of a flighted bird.We had decided she needed clipped but didn't want to take her to the pet store where purchased( they clip for the lifetime of bird, free of charge ). They did a HORRIBLE job with Verne who only plops to the ground, unable to glide even a little. After doing about a week or so of reading articles and watching videos, we felt confident we could safely clip her ourselves ( hopeful it would save stress on her and we would have a better chance of doing it the correct way).We toweled her and only clipped the first 5 flight feathers. She of course voiced her displeasure, but didn't try to flee or fight. I was also concerned with all my hard work( gaining her trust) would be ruined....it wasn't thankfully! She ate raisins eagerly from my hand afterwards. I am not recommending self clipping for everyone, but if you have the confidence and knowledge it might be a worth a try.It worked for our family.On the other hand if you have any worries or doubts, its ALWAYS best to let a professional handle it. Just wanted to share!
IMG_20110813_181145-1.jpg
Codys Mom

Re: WARNING...Do no try this @ home....

Post by Codys Mom »

great job :)
I clip all my birds wings except for Cody he is fully flighted because of his handi cap , it's actually pretty easy, now trimming nails I don't do I'am chicken to do that one