Adding another IRN

Moderator: Mods

danadear

Adding another IRN

Post by danadear »

My IRN Henry is about 10 months old. Will he be happier with another IRN to share his time with? I have a cockatiel that he does not like at all.
Ali Salar

Re: Adding another IRN

Post by Ali Salar »

Yes surely your indian ringneck will enjoy with him but you must check that they have less age difference otherwise your ringnecks will fight with each other.
julie

Post by julie »

only get another if you want one,he will be fine by himself.
danadear

Post by danadear »

Thanks for the replies. I wish I could read his mind. :? I guess I will leave things alone for now.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Dana,

Just thought I'd present my 2 cents worth. :)

Whilst it is true that here are no guarantees that your new IRN and your existing one will get along, I believe that it is worth trying. We did and it worked out well for us.

Our avian vet said that it is generally better for the bird to have the companionship of another bird.

We introduced our new bird slowly and now they cohabitate. We have run into a small hitch because our male is two and our female is three. The female is ready to mate but he doesn't know how to do it yet. So I'm looking forward to when they are both mature. When we bought the second bird I didn't think that one year was a big age difference but at this age it is.

Best wishes for your decision making!

Ellie.
danadear

Post by danadear »

Thanks Ellie. I think I will leave things as they are for now. He is only 11 months old or so now (not sure of his exact hatch date but he was born in September last year).