Hi from South Africa

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Wessel Gordon

Hi from South Africa

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi

I'm Wessel from South Africa and owned by four IRN's (1 mature blue female, 3 mature males - gray, silver and blue) and two budgies.

I've owned IRN's for about 6 years after my mom bought me my first one during a long illness. I still have her and we have this whole love/hate relationship going just like a married couple. I couldn't cope with her teenage stage outside the cage (she was handreared and quite tame) so I got her a blue male but he unfortunately flew off into the sunset. My next male was a silver that I got as a young bird and just at the time he was beginning to show his ring I had to go on a business trip for 6 weeks so missed all the fun of seeing it develop. My other males is a darkgray mutation I had to have when it became available about 3 years ago and the blue male is an adopted bird from a family member (he's also the brother of my blue female).

Hope to get to know everyone and their feathered family.

Wessel
SCB -SA

Re: Hi from South Africa

Post by SCB -SA »

Hi
Last edited by SCB -SA on Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi

Glad to see someone else from South Africa on the forum. I know the downhill feeling with birds, lol.

My only female has been spending a lot of time in her nest recently but she's never laid eggs before and has plucking issues so I wasn't sure if it's to stay warm or breeding season kicking in.

I'm looking for two females, preferably lutino or albino/white, so if you're looking for a home for one of your chicks PM me and I'll get in touch.

Wessel
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Where exactly are you from?
Last edited by SCB -SA on Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

I'm in Petrusburg...a very small town (if you can call it that) exactly halfway between Kimberley and Bloemfontein.

I'm not a huge fan of green IRN's for some reason and already have 2 blue birds (brother and sister) plus a silver male and a dark gray male so I'm looking for something that catches the eye more..any suggestions? Have to admit the few rainbow IRN's I have seen are attractive.
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

awesome
Last edited by SCB -SA on Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Just had a look at your birds. I love the male in the second picture (lutino head and green body). I'm not familiar with all the mutations/terminology (I just know what I like and what I don't, lol) so you'll have to excuse me if that description is wrong. Which mutation is that?
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Welcome to the forum
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Thanks, Lushen
fladder

Post by fladder »

Someone else from South Africa! yay:) I was wondering if IRNs are popular here..........
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi Fladder

They are very popular in Kimberley where I'm originally from. Moved to a small town between Bloemfontein and Kimberley in January and it seems it's only me and someone else I still have to meet that keep IRN's (can hear his/her birds in the distance but haven't met the birdkeeper yet).

I discovered on Friday that my 6 year old female is busy incubating her first ever clutch of eggs (we've spotted 3 eggs so far) which was quite a shock since she nearly always had access to a nest but never used it for anything except keeping warm since she's got plucking issues. Have to admit I can't wait for the eggs to hatch but since there's no way to say when the first egg was laid I will have to be patient. Don't want to disturb her too much considering it's her first clutch so I'm thinking a weekly nest inspection will have to keep my curiosity (and impatience) in check. The hen is light blue and the male is silver so I can't wait to see what possible mutations that combination could come up with.

Wessel
fladder

Post by fladder »

That's so sweet! the young ones are sure to be gorgeous! I only have one IRN and I don't think I'll consider breeding, it's too stressful! Mines still a baby so for now thats more than enough to keep me busy :)
Hope your patience pays off soon :wink:
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Breeding is definitely stressful, not to mention the impatience while waiting for the eggs to actually hatch and then waiting an extra few weeks to see what mutation you were blessed with. But it's not like nature is going to hurry things along just because of our impatience.

IRN babies are gorgeous. I've hand-reared a few in the past (including the hen that's incubating the eggs) but I think with this clutch I'll let the mother handle it. Being supposedly tame doesn't mean I'm tolerated close to either her food or her nest so it's a bit tricky to feed her.
fladder

Post by fladder »

I look forward to hearing about your new babies :)
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

I don't expect the eggs to hatch in the next week or two but I'll keep you updated on what happens.

She laid a fourth egg somewhere between Friday-afternoon and Monday-afternoon. Since it's been more than two days since a new egg was laid I'm beginning to think that the clutch might be complete, but I have been proven wrong by birds before.

Taking the date of the last egg to calculate when they should hatch I should have new babies somewhere from September 1 and September 9.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

The hen and the eggs are doing fine...I should have my first babies in about a week's time and I have to admit I can't wait.

The hen's male physically attacked the other male that shared their cage on several occasions but luckily I could break it up every time before it got too serious. I ended up having to borrow a spare cage from my sister to house the unrelated male. It's not as spacious as he's used to but at least he doesn't have to worry about another male trying to kill or seriously injure him.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Every time I get up I find some "excuse" to go and check on the birds, lol, so there's a well-beaten track to the cage by now.

Not sure if I could get pics easily since the female gets very territorial around the nest and I'm sure it's going to get worse when there's babies around.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hello from me as well.
Sounds like you have a nice little collection of ringies.
hahaha I know the feeling of finding an 'excuse' to go wandering out back to check on my birds. :lol:
Marie-helen

Post by Marie-helen »

Hi there!
I'm also from SA and new to this forum!
I have a great yellow female IRN and would like to breed with her.. however, she doesn't have a mate and I don't want to buy one and then she doesn't bond with him...
I feel sorry for her because she doesn't have a mate, but she is spoilt rotten and is very tamed.. she is also never in her cage, only when she eats and sleeps.. i am scared that she will get jealous if I get another one...
Any advice?
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Welcome to the forum, Marie-helen.

From my experience with birds the opposite might happen if you get another bird: they might bond with each other which might leave you feeling left out. So if she's happy with your company and you're happy with her's I don't see any real reason to get another bird.

In my case I didn't plan on breeding IRN's but nature decided otherwise. My female has plucking issues so I supplied her with a nestbox to keep warm during winter and she surprised me with 4 eggs which is due to hatch any day now.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Just a quick update since I haven't been around here for long.

In the intervening years I had a few birds come and go (I basically just fostered them and send them on to better homes).

At the moment I still have the blue female that lays eggs and doesn't hatch them as well as her silver coloured male.

I also still have the grey male that got attacked by the silver male, although I got him a grey female and they do seem to get along fine. I wanted to pair him with either a lutino or white hen but I couldn't find any mature hens of that mutations so had to take what I could get: the male was developing plucking issues but luckily it seems to be over now that he has a female companion.

When I purchased the grey female I also bought a white/silver bird of about 2 months old. He/she is unsexed so we'll have to see which sex it turns out to be.

So there's a summary of me and my flock of 5 IRN'S.
TiffandKari

Post by TiffandKari »

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Your fids sound stunning! Eventually I'd love to see some pictures!
:D
Tiff and Kari

Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi Tiff/Kari

Thanks for the welcome.

There's quite a few pics of the young chick on the thread dealing with mutations. It was quite a mission just to try and capture pics of that one bird so to successfully photograph the whole flock I might have to seriously consider retirement, lol.

Kind regards.

Wessel

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 26&t=18622
TiffandKari

Post by TiffandKari »

Thank you for posting me the link, what a beautiful bird, I love pictures of all of the different mutations :D
and wow haha I can imagine, it's hard enough for me to photograph my lone bird! :lol:
Tiff and Kari

Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

He/she is beautiful...the mutation stood out so much I just had to have it.
TiffandKari

Post by TiffandKari »

Yes, it's a stunning mutation! So cute as a baby yet you can tell they'll be a very elegant and beautiful adult, no matter what gender they end up to be!
aaaahhh I love little colorful ringnecks :mrgreen:
Tiff and Kari

Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Another quick update.

I got a lutino female last week so I now have a flock of 6 IRN's.
BuksV

Post by BuksV »

Halo All
My name is Buks and I am From Sundra area near Springs South Africa, I started again with IRN end of last year.
I have collected 26 pairs of Ringnecks witch varies from Yelow to ADM.Pieds, Cleartails and Opalines.
and the colours vary from Green Cleartails to DF Violet cleartails and ADM.Pieds from green to Turq Mauve and Violet split for ADM.Pieds.
I really enjoy my birds alot.
This is a great site to meet and get more info about these wonderfull birds.
Regards
Buks
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi Buks

Welcome to the forum.
BuksV

Post by BuksV »

Halo All
My name is Buks and I am From Sundra area near Springs South Africa, I started again with IRN end of last year.
I have collected 26 pairs of Ringnecks witch varies from Yelow to ADM.Pieds, Cleartails and Opalines.
and the colours vary from Green Cleartails to DF Violet cleartails and ADM.Pieds from green to Turq Mauve and Violet split for ADM.Pieds.
I really enjoy my birds alot.
This is a great site to meet and get more info about these wonderfull birds.
Regards
Buks