Hello new owner in Bristol England

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

dave22360

Hello new owner in Bristol England

Post by dave22360 »

Hello everybody.

Firstly what a great site with lots of useful information.
I have blue IRN who was hatched on the 14th of may and hand reared i have had contact with him on a twice weekly basis until the 1st of this month when i was able to bring him home.
He is called Elwood and is already a beautiful color i am now trying to train him to step up but he's not responding very well so think i have a lot of work to do but i am certain he will be worth it.

Speak to you all soon Dave
Synth

Re: Hello new owner in Bristol England

Post by Synth »

Welcome Dave! :D

What a pretty name you chose for him. I'm sure he'll get it in time. Zuko (my IRN, about 6 or 7 months) will step up, but seems reluctant to try anything else. We're working on it though!

I'm really new to the site, and to IRNs as well. The community here is very friendly, full of information, and are ready to help if they can. Glad to have you and Elwood aboard!
Melika

Re: Hello new owner in Bristol England

Post by Melika »

Welcome to the board!

Some people have more success stepping up backwards- meaning putting your hand/finger behind the parrot's legs and pushing towards the front of the bird.

Also, since I don't know your method, when stepping up from the front you want to push just below the bird's chest where the base of the legs are. This throws them a little off balance and instinctively they step forward/up. A bird will almost always choose to step UP instead of down. If the bird reaches down to really nip/bite, often the best thing to do is push for the step up quickly. This usually means he/she is too busy to bite and has to focus on the step up instead. Just be aware they often touch your hand with their beak first, not necessarily to bite, to ensure the perch is going to be stable.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay