why so quite :?:

Moderator: Mods

quite IRN

why so quite :?:

Post by quite IRN »

hello
i bought a IRN parrot like 2-3 weeks ago , she is around 1 year old ( not sure if he is male or female) , she is really healthy as she plays around her cage with the toys when no humans are around ( she has even started to try to say some words)

she is really scared of people, she flaps her wings and moves around her cage when i get near her but she does not bit or make any noise. i have followed the guide lines and stayed around her age for around half an hour each day and just talk to her, or play calm music but it did not help her to stay calm when i get close. i have even let her out of the cage and let her free around the house, but with no contact she has went back in her cage after a browse around the house.

she eats plenty of seeds and drinks plenty of water and i have started feeding her fruits such as apple and grapes and mandarin. i have two budgies which i place near his cage ( in another cage) but still she is quite.

my question is that:
1. is something wrong with her ?
2. am i doing something wrong ?
3. does she need more time to adjust ?
4.why is she so quite ?
5. do i need to get her a mate (another IRN)
6. how do i get her to calm down ?

thank you ! :D
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Azure

Re: why so quite :?:

Post by Azure »

I answer to the best of my knowledge, hope it helps!

1. is something wrong with her ?
there shouldn't be
2. am i doing something wrong ?
you are doing fine, keep it up
3. does she need more time to adjust ?
yes, give her more time
4.why is she so quite ?
a shy bird most likely
5. do i need to get her a mate (another IRN)
there is no need unless you want more IRN, but mates can also hate/ dislike each other
6. how do i get her to calm down ?
dont move too much or move slowly, if humans are the cause then you can stay next to the cage without moving until she calms and realises no threat comes from you, if it is something else causing her to panic, then try to remove it or cover it up so it appears to be not there
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
julie

Post by julie »

he/she sounds pretty normal to me on all counts. it does take a while for them to get used to being in a different place. My young irn and alex both are tame but if they think im going to take them out of the cage they flap around, the alex does it when i try to put him back into the cage too,he even tells me to step up and come here boy while he is running away. they dont freak out till they know im going to take them out though.
quite IRN

Post by quite IRN »

i do walk around her at a really slow pace, and yea i have done that , but she seem to only remember it for a while.

and for me taking her out and getting her to go in her cage is pretty easy as i advice her where to go with my hand lmao (this is because she is scared and does not want to get close so if i place my hand near her cage she will get out etc.)

three more question :

1.do i wait for her to get more use to me before i start to tame her , or should i do both at the same time ( build her trust and tame her at the same time)

3. is their a taming method that best suits an IRN or is it the same method you would use for other birds in general.

2. is it ok to force her to get on you (eg. grab her gently and place her on your body and let her go (i use to do that for my budgies and it worked, they got tamed plus built trust but i am not sure if its the same with IRN))
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Azure

Post by Azure »

im not sure about that but you could try "step up"... if you grab her she may panic and it would only make things worst... if she reacts very negatively then stop but im not too sure...
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet