Introduction.

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Wackysleet

Introduction.

Post by Wackysleet »

Just like to introduce myself, I keep Finches of various sorts along with Mannikins etc, also have Budgies, and Lovebirds, tomorrow I will purchase a hen and a cock, hen is a lutino and the cock is a Violet?, I am just starting out with IRNs so need to find my way.

I have just completed a new aviary 5metres x 4 metres x 2.5 metres high divided into 4 flights of 1 metre x 4 metres. Information I have read on this forum has been invaluable. I am English living in Thailand so not sure when the breeding season should begin, perhaps someone can help. Any advice will be gratefully received thank you all.
mikeb

Re: Introduction.

Post by mikeb »

they normally start the end of winter, early spring. usually when the days start getting longer and the temps start to rise
Wackysleet

Post by Wackysleet »

Thanks for the info, it never gets cold here really although we are coming upto the rainy season, and I do mean rainy but temperature is usually still in the high 20s and of course it will climb to the 30s.

I have been looking for designs for nest boxes and dimensions, any input would certainly be helpful so thanks again for your response.
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

12 inches x 12 inches x 24 inches deep with a wire ladder on the inside of the front side so they can climb down into box just take 2 pieces of wood about 1/2 inch square by about 3 to 4 inches long put 1 just under hole and the other about 5 inches from the bottom of the box and attach a piece of cage wire long enough to attach to the wood pieces go to ringneckmutations.com and click on his breeding page
Wackysleet

Post by Wackysleet »

Thank you for the link, I have to say looking at the site he has some beautiful birds and a great set-up makes one quite jealous.

He is also very helpful in his hints and tips. The nest boxes I saw are similar to the ones I use for my Love birds although a lot larger but the internal ladder arrangement is the same.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Welcome Wackysleet.
Nice variety of birds you keep. I am partial to lovebirds although do not have any at the moment.