New to site

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

suke061

New to site

Post by suke061 »

hi there I have a green IRN i bought him a couple of months ago was told he was hand tame and saying words he dont seem to be either? :( with alot of time I have got him coming for treats through the side of the bars on his cage even though it takes him a good hour to first approach then hes ok as long as I sit VERY still. what should my next step be? should i attempt to feed him by hand? thanks
Dare2b

Re: New to site

Post by Dare2b »

Some birds take a while to settle down. I purchased an older bird who "spoke' and was "extremely" tame.

I found for the first 2 months he didnt say a single word, hid in his cage not wanting to do anything. My other ringnecks are very outgoing birds and very vocal. It seemed he just wouldnt settle. 6 months on he still wont talk but is very cuddly and affectionate (for a ringneck) though still bites.

Every bird is different and handles change differently, some accept it others dont. See if he had a favourite toy or food. Mine will all do anything for peanuts in shells.

Good luck!