Cage size?

Moderator: Mods

Ring Neck

Cage size?

Post by Ring Neck »

What size cage does every one have for their IRN? Does any one have two of them in the same cage? I just got one yesterday and I am thinking of getting another, but would love to house them together.
Thanks
imdnt

Re: Cage size?

Post by imdnt »

Howdy Ring Neck!

Here's our cage:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58811496@N ... otostream/

We're housing 3 at the moment. You can see tango (Green) and bravo (Blue) in the outside playground area. Alpha was purchased well after getting this cage so he isn't in this pic.

Waiting for IRN number 4, 5 & 6 in the new breeding season hahaha :lol: Once we get the next 3, yes they'll go into the same cage. We'll see how we go.

The bars are wide enough that they can stick their heads through but they've adjusted to the spacing so all is well.
LiveWire

Post by LiveWire »

This is the one I ended up getting. Great price, well made, and roomy. http://www.petco.com/product/114150/PET ... age-114150 Problem is it sits there empty, silently mocking me and making my wait seem even longer.

imdnt- Love your cage!
imdnt

Post by imdnt »

Cheers LiveWire!

The missus chose it and I thought it was too big at first but after the boys adjusted to the bar spacing all was good. The only downside was that it was on the more expensive side since we don't know the best places (yet) to get cheaper bird equipment. Budgies are much cheaper :lol:

It was also much easier to put toys in strategic areas to give then enough space to move around without invading each other's personal space.

Maybe it's just us but we struggled to put their toys in good locations in the (relatively) smaller black cage (in the background) as they were always at the top of the cage and rarely came to the bottom of the cage to play.

This grey cage solved that problem plus we can house more IRN's down the track :lol:
Ring Neck

Post by Ring Neck »

Thanks for the cage pictures, they are both very nice. So it is okay to have two in the same cage? I have 2 linnies together and two bourkes together and 6 budgies together. I know some birds are better kept alone in their own cage, like the male canary. I was thinking of getting another but have no more room left for another large cage. He is a baby and will get another baby in a few weeks so they can grow up together.
Does your birds every fight?
imdnt

Post by imdnt »

Tango does only probably cos he's not used to other birds or because we got him at a pet store. He's friendly to us but other birds he'd fluff up and pin his eyes whilst they're in the cage. It's taken us about 3 months before he got used to Bravo so now he has to get used to Alpha.

Bravo and Alpha are getting used to each other and rarely have any quarrels. Alpha's used to other birds (hand raised as a baby then put in an aviary once he could eat solids) so if Bravo pecks him, he doesn't retaliate and Bravo stops; a naughty habit he's picked up from Tango.

So I guess it really depends on the bird you get.

When we first got Bravo at 7 weeks old, he was super friendly to Tango but Tango wouldn't have any of it. Then on some days Tango would try and regurgitate food to Bravo but then would dislike him the next day. The crazy life of an IRN! :lol:
Ring Neck

Post by Ring Neck »

Thanks for the information, I guess it could go either way. I would really like to have two.
imdnt

Post by imdnt »

if you're really worried about fights, you can always put the offender in a small travel cage and cover it with a blanket for 10min.

For us it works quite well as the offender pipes down and doesn't attack for a little while. The more he attacks, the more often he'll end up in the sin bin but it's paying off in that the attacks are becoming less regular. Usually it's Bravo as we're trying to get rid of this naughty habit of his.

The travel cage we have is just long enough to fit our IRN's without their tail bending.
Ring Neck

Post by Ring Neck »

Thanks again. Thinking of getting a lutino really soon.
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

I have a blue and yellow Indian ringneck, and I would like to add an albino ringneck to my collection. Can you please give me the dimension of a cage that I can comfortably house them together? I was about to purchase this cage (http://www.petco.com/product/114150/PET ... age-114150) few days ago, but I am afraid if it is too small for three ringnecks.

I really like the cage posted by imdnt

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58811496@N ... ostream/#/

What size is this? Is this large enough for three ringnecks?

Your feedback is highly appreciated.
imdnt

Post by imdnt »

When we spoke to PetCity and did our own research, they recommended the minimum size is the black cage in this photo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58811496@N ... hotostream

You could easily fit 4 IRN's without issue but anymore is asking for trouble which is why we upgraded to the grey one as we plan (when I say we here I mean me hehehe) on having 6.

We've now got a light attached to the left side of the lower half of the grey cage so our IRN's are now happy to travel down there and sleep but usually prefer to the top portion.

Still early days but Tango is starting to enjoy sleeping in the lower half before he climbs into the top half. I'll have to google around for those dimensions as we've already sold it.

As for the brown cage you posted, from the photo it's housing an African Grey and those fellas are at least twice the size of our IRN's so 3 IRN's would fit comfortably in there.
Brown Cage L: 72cm x W: 72cm x H: 109cm would be more than enough room.

If you focus on the right hand side top portion of our grey cage, that alone is 60cm x 62cm (had to cut some new guava branches for perches) and all 3 of ours usually chill out there without problem.

If you want some flight space within the cage, you'll need something bigger.
Azure

Post by Azure »

i was wondering what was the limit of space for one IRN with enough for some flight space...
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
imdnt

Post by imdnt »

Ooo ... Don't know the definitive answer to that one.

Just by the width of our grey cage (120cm) it's plenty of space to fly. It really seems to come down to how much one can afford and much space you want the IRN to fly in.

I've seen cages that has zero flying space but the birds are allowed to come out of the cage and fly.

Others I've seen are just as big or bigger than ours and the bird never comes out so they fly within the cage.
Azure

Post by Azure »

oh sorry about that broad question! but thanks for the answer!
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
imdnt

Post by imdnt »

No drama :wink: