new chicks

Moderator: Mods

rickyc

new chicks

Post by rickyc »

i have a grey hen irn and an albino cock that have just bred there are four chicks 2 weeks old and three of them have red eyes and the other one has black eyes is there a reason for this
mikeb

Re: new chicks

Post by mikeb »

yes the red eyed ones are ino and the other not
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi there the ones with red eyes are hens the other is a cock bird.

it is also possible the hens are masking grey gene, look for a baby/s that are more off white then white and they should be the ones masking grey.

ta glenn.
rickyc

Post by rickyc »

this may be a difficult question but how do you work out that a certain percent are hens and others are cocks i am a newcomer to keeping irn and know there is loads to learn this is my first breeding season does it have anything to do with the colour of the birds
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

yes the parents colors and their parents colors determine the colors of the chicks go to www.gencalc.com to the right side of page you will see a list of species click on psittacula parrots then on indian ringneck and punch in the colors of the birds you wish to find results of breeding male is left side female right side it seems a little complicated at first but it's really pretty simple hope this helps you and if needed there are a few guys here that are always willing to help mike
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Albino and Lutino are Sex Linked Mutations. Just search this on google.

A few of the mutations are sex linked. There are also the Cinamon and the Lacewing. Once you learn how it works you can use the same formula for any Sex Linked Mutation.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

In this instance the Color of the young will tell you their sex, but this is not always the case in all mutations.