Here are some updated pictures.

Moderator: Mods

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

They are 9 weeks old and are down to 1 feed a day, they are almost weaned and LOVE arrowroot biscuits :shock: They also love eating fruit, veg, seed, pellets and whatever else they can get their beaks on :lol:

Pastel Silver

Grey

Fallow Pastel Silver

Blue, Pastel Blue, Pastel Silver

(Continued from:)

http://www.indianringneck.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=895
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

B
E
A
U
T
I
F
U
L

:!: :!: :!:

Kick **** job.
~ Mikaela Sky

jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Jeremy,
They're BEAUTIFUL!!! I must admit I sure don't see the difference in the coloring. I can't tell a difference in the pastels and the not pastels. But they are so adorable. Good thing you live a world away, or I'd be begging my honey for another baby. Tee hee. Pat yourself on the back, Dad, you did a great job.

Hugs,
Jen
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Oh My Gosh! Wow they are soooo cute! You did a great job!

Dani and Prinny
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Well done Jeremy .. very nice babies indeed :D

I have a question. The breeder I just brought Jordan (my sons bird) from and had, earlier, brought Kai (my older IRN from) said that Jordan is about 7 weeks old and eating seeds no need for special feeding.

Now Jordan, to me, even though she is a larger than baby looking bird, still peeps and only shows hints of louder IRN sounds, Jordan has a skin coloured beak, no hint of red coming yet, and when you go near her/him puts its head back and jerks it up and down calling to be fed.

So not being sure about it all, I still have my son feed Jordan , with soft fruits and vegis rolled in ground up pellets, just to make sure.

I watch Jordan in the cage and she/he eats the pellets ever so slowly and will hold food and pick around at it.

I am not sure if, like the breeder said, its eating fine on its own, or is still very young and needs feeding or if Jordan is doing that out of being spoilt (hand raised) by the breeder and just has one over on us ?

You see my other confusion now is that at the time I didn't think of it, but the breeder said Jordan is about 7 weeks, was hatched around the end of August , but that would make her/him more like 12 weeks and I really don't think so.

Now at 9 weeks you are still feeding your babies 2 feeds or you have just gone down to one feed. Do I still need to feed Jordan also, even though the breeder said he/she is ok on her/his own with food ? And if I still need to feed her/him is the fruit/vegi dipped in crushed pellets ok or do I need to give Jordan something else :shock: HELP ! worried now.

Anyway here is a picture of Jordan.

Look at the hack job the breeder did of her/his wing :cry: I have had her/him at the vet this morning to clip the other properly and try and somehow fix up the hacked one, its looking a little better now.

Last edited by kyria on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

If your bird is really 7 weeks old it should be just learning to fly. This is NOT a good time to get your bird clipped. Birds should be clipped well after they learn to fly so they can land better when they are clipped. That is a really horrid clip job. Also remember BOTH wings need to be clipped evenly. **With yours though, dont do the exact same hack job on the other side. Just even it out.** Can I have a pic of the wing extended?

I posted a diagram of where to clip in the wing clipping thread. It looks like your bird has even the covets clipped. :( This is really sad to see, no bird should be clipped like that. If it tried to fly it would drop like a stone and damage the keel :( Anyone else PLEASE research before you do something like that.

At this age my birds are on 2/3 feeds a day still. They are starting to eat soaked seed mix and fruit and veg. Your bird should do ok with soaked seed/pellets and lots of fresh food. If you see your bird is eating enough then you dont need to run out and buy formula.

You could try making some sort of wet mix and feeding your baby that off a spoon, it's a good bonding experience. Some wet pellets, egg buiscut and so on. I give my adult birds some formula every now and then so If your really worried get a small packet of hand feeding mix and just mix than in some water so it looks like pancake mix and feed it once or twice a day.

Your bird will usually eat more if you are eating with her or helping her, or if she sees kai eating. Feeding with the spoon is a great way to get your bird to bond to you. I'd do this as a treat later on when they grow up also.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Jen, the 2 Pastel Silvers don't really have strong pastel markings, you can see a bit of green in the head and wings but it doesn't really show up too well. When they moult, it should come in a bit more enhanced.
The Blue and Pastel Blue have a huge difference, just compare the colour of their heads in the last pic :wink:

Kyria, at 7 weeks old, i would be alarmed if someone said their Ringneck was already weaned, while it is true, some birds wean earlier than others, 7 weeks still seems way to early. I would consider maybe feeding him 1-2 times a day just in case.
Also, offer him fresh fruit and veg twice a day, seed, pellets, arrowroot biscuits, cheerios (cerial).
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Angie I dont like the beak colouring. I would be a bit concerned that Jordan may not have been weaned completely or may have a lack of essential vitamins. I would give that baby hand rearing mix and pellets and a vitamin suppliment on top of fresh fruits veges and seed.

This was "Martini" the lutino I raised at about 6 or 7 weeks:

You are right that is an impressive hack job on Jordans wing. I am so glad this baby has gone to someone who will love it and care for it so well. Jordan is very lucky to have you!
-Chamon-

Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Sorry Jeremy for stealing your thread! Your birds are STUNNING! If I were in Oz I would buy one off you!!!!!!!!

Isnt it sad that the amount of time and effort we put in with these birds equals didley squat as far as price goes? They are the most amazing birds but are the cheapest parrots I know. Its good for buying but a pain in the proverbial as a breeder!

Good job Jeremy, your birds are not only beautiful, Im sure they are tame and healthy too!
-Chamon-

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I got my baby at four weeks and her beak was a very dark coral already.

Baby at 4.5 weeks old:

I too would be concerned. Have you tried to feed the baby formula? I know I would. I would also KICK THAT BREEDERS **** for what he did to that babys wings.

Neo, get your purse, we have some breeder but to KICK.
~ Mikaela Sky

Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Hrmm Some of my babies have very light beaks, I wouldnt be too worried about it just yet. My creamino has prety much the exact same colour beak. She's pretty healthy.

I agree Mikaela definatly butt kicking time. I have some babies that arent ready to go yet, but if anyone in aus is desperate to give one of them a loving home talk to me before you go out and buy one from just anywhere.