knocking no more but depressed

Moderator: Mods

birdluv

knocking no more but depressed

Post by birdluv »

Thanks for all your answers. I brought the bird to an avian vet and he was necropsied. She said the female did NOT kill him He basically had a heart attack..Lovely. Femalre is quite depressed in nest box. Never layed eggs, she is eating and drinking. I have purchased a nice LARGE cage and I am going to introduce her to a new male in this brand new cage. Any thoughts?
Jodie

questions

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
I am glad you found the answers to "why". Did they indicate why he had a heart attack?
To introduce her to a new male might be tricky. How long were the other pair together? Were they bonded? If they were, you might have a problem at first. She might only want him. I would recommend you placing them in separate cages next to one another for a week or so. Then, introduce him in her cage. If they fight or nip at each other, I would start over. Hopefully, she will accept him and things will go good. If it doesn't go well, I would remove the nestbox from her cage.
Hope this helps!

Post by Guest »

Remember just because she acts agressive with him, does not mean she will not breed with him. I have a pair, and all year the female chases the male as if he were her worst enemy. Than when breeding season comes around they are madly in love. Indian ringnecks are not like other parrots. Most of the time they do not form bonded pairs, making it easier for them to breed with a new partner.