new owner needing help

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

spclspotlady

new owner needing help

Post by spclspotlady »

i was given an irn about nine months ago. when i got him he was in very poor health, lacked luster or color in his feathers, his toes are curled or gone and his wings were plucked clean underneath and some onetop. i have improved his enviroment, cleaning his "playpen" daily and feeding him fresh fruits and vegis daily and some people food. he is on roudy bush now and seed very very little. he has become very talkative, gotten feathers, luster and color back and loves to be with the family or on a shoulder. HOWEVER, he has developed in the last week a lumpnin his cheek. it is hard, it does move a little between my fingers and he does not act like it hurts when i touch it. he has not stopped eating, still talks, basically all is normal except that. what do i do? should i be concerned of nothing else has changed? how long do i wait? i am unemployed and cannot afford a dr to tell me nothing is wrong, just wait and see if it goes away on its own.
spclspotlady

Re: new owner needing help

Post by spclspotlady »

also, he is anywhere from 14 to 20 yrs old no one can decide. the previous mom says 14 but dad says 18, and son says 20. so either way he is an old bird and as i dont know howblong they predictably live is another consideration for me. plz someone answrr me soon.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

You can expect an IRN to live between 20 and 30 years.

I'm not sure about the lump in the cheek. Can you post a photo?

Personally I would take him to the vet but I understand that avian vets are costly.

Ellie.
spclspotlady

Post by spclspotlady »

i will try to get a picture of it, dont know that the lump will show up. ill give it a shot, no punn intended.
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi there it could be a fat gland, when birds get fed fatty foods (most fruits are fatty) vege should be fed more then fruit.

If it is they can get it removed with an operation but its risky with birds but a change in diet may not get rid of it but it will stop it from growing.

I had a galah that i got from somebody that just fed it with sunflower seeds and it had a lump the size of an nectarine it got a bit smaller but never went away.

It could also be an ingrown feather which will need to be treated but you will need to see a vet for it either way i suggest.

Thanks Glenn
spclspotlady

Post by spclspotlady »

okay i think i got some good picture. hopefully they come thru as i am doing this all from my fone for the first time. alex is not the prettiest IRN i have seen, however he looks LOTS better than he did when i got him. thank you for the suggestion of more vegis. it will be a challenge as he was raised on seed alone and is picky. i will try, guarenteed im more patient and stubborn than he is. haha. he has just began to let me pet him in the last month or two, lets me "ruffle" his feathers, look at his wings, touch his toes. so we are making great strides. so i will look to see and make sure its not on the skin, ingrown feather.
funny thing in the last week he seems to think its okay to eat from my mouth which is not oaky with me but i make him get off my shoulder then give him a bite of what im eating. i have to say he is the best door alarm ive ever had, he makes some wild noises whenever someone comes to the door. oh, and if he could answer the phone!!! hello has started comin out really clear. he has a great personality, is great with little kids and is very lovable. thank you for the suggestions and kind words!!!!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Unfortunately the pics didn't come through.

I'm glad you and your family are enjoying your new addition.

Sounds like he has settled in very well. I could imagine it would have been quite an adjustment leaving his home of 14-20 years!

Ellie.