Taming an aviary bird

Moderator: Mods

KornNZ

Taming an aviary bird

Post by KornNZ »

Hi all this is my first post i just got a 5 year old IRN from a pet shop that was closeing down an the lady said that the bird han been in an aviary all its life with no human contact it was the only IRN left in the shop basically on one wanted her so i took her home named her halfy she's missing one toe on her right foot so now i want her to tame her i feed her fruit&veg an seed she will let me sit by the cage an seems calm ihave'nt let her out yet so what step should i take next.

An heres a pic
2[3].jpg
2[3].jpg (69.58 KiB) Viewed 4929 times
she has red patchs on her head tail an wings.
bec

Re: Taming an aviary bird

Post by bec »

it is possible to tame a bird that has been in an avairy all her life but you might never get a bird that likes being patted
take things slow with her let her set the pace
there are heaps of posts about taming on here
she is beautiful
good luck
jeezusbeams

Post by jeezusbeams »

Aww it is a Beautiful Looking Bird. I have found a very good tactic at taming avairy birds, spread some peanut butter on your finger or your stick your using. The Bird will LOVE your Finger.
KornNZ

Post by KornNZ »

Thanks for the tips guys i think i made a few breakthroughs with her as i can sit by her cage an she does not freak out shes come close to taking food from my hand like 3 inches but just sits there looking at me so i put the treat in the food dish an try again a bit later.
New question when should i let her out of the cage she did get out when i was feeding her the other day flew around the room landed on my arm looked at me then flew back into the cage now i've read some post an people say to use a towle but i don't wont to scare her an go backwards just as i feel i'm making progress. :?:
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

With regard to letting her out of the cage... your bird will view the cage as her home.... so, most likely, when you let her out, providing you have plenty of time on your hands, she should go back to her cage of her own accord (just like you described in your previous post).

I wouldn't however let her out if you have to go out in the next hour or so.... make sure you do it when you've got plenty of time.... I think you'll find if you can wait long enough, she will usually go back in the cage herself.... especially if her food and water are there.

Good luck, you have a beautiful bird there!

Ellie.
KornNZ

Post by KornNZ »

Thanks Ellie one more thing now she has started doing this thing where she puts her wings out a bit an goes form one end of the preach to the other bobing her head about an looking all goofy.
kenny

Post by kenny »

hi i am in the same boat as u i got a blue female that is two years old shes been a avriy bird all her life wen i fisrt got her she would just fly to back of the cage as i went near but now she just sits there wen i go near now i did av a go with the towel but she just freaked out every time so ive stop that she comes out of her cage but with a little time she could be a nice bird ive just got a blue male and she as changed since he came to the house she more active
MariaPMC

Post by MariaPMC »

jeezusbeams wrote:spread some peanut butter on your finger or your stick your using. The Bird will LOVE your Finger.
Hey :P i'm having some some hard time myself training mine, but i reckon in portugal they dont sell peanut butter, or at least in all my years of life i've never seen one or heard anyone eat it lol. so i was wondering if i could replace the peanut butter for something like strawberry jam? will it be harmful for the bird to eat it? or will he get fat? lol
cheers
Enephis

Post by Enephis »

MariaPMC wrote: ... so i was wondering if i could replace the peanut butter for something like strawberry jam? will it be harmful for the bird to eat it? or will he get fat? lol
cheers
I'd stay clear from anything that contains refined sugar, salt or any additives or preservatives. I think it's best to keep it as natural as possible. You could mash some fruit, like strawberries or a banana and offer it. Or just grind peanuts into dust and add some water to make a paste and offer it instead.
MariaPMC

Post by MariaPMC »

sounds like a plan, cheers
MariaPMC

Post by MariaPMC »

omg, found peanut butter!!! he loves my fingers now! XD instant! thanks again.