Taming an IRN that has not been handled in over a year.

Moderator: Mods

Sweetie

Taming an IRN that has not been handled in over a year.

Post by Sweetie »

We just got our IRN Sweetie, this is her 5th (and final) home. She refuses to let me touch her, and thrashes around her cage when I clean it or change out her food/water.

Other than giving her time and talking to her alot what else can I do to help tame her again?
jimmyjack

Re: Taming an IRN that has not been handled in over a year.

Post by jimmyjack »

if youve just got her, give her a week or two to settle into the home and new surrounding before you try to handle her. but it takes alot of time and commitment. its very small steps in reducing the comfort barrier.

try scrolling through a few pages on here, there are scores of posts of similar questions and detailed answers, but once settled even sitting next to the cage and chatting (with someone or not) even calmly reading a book, eating a meal or snack (the way to a birds heart). offer treats through the cage. she probably will not be interested at first, but give it some time for her to understand what you are doing. if you can even drop the treat into her food bowl. thats the first step - building a level of trust of your presence near the cage - handling or getting very close comes after.

not to fear, it will take time, but quite achievable! if you cant find any of the other posts, i'll find some info to post. good luck and welcome!
Sweetie

Post by Sweetie »

I am browsing around just hard to navigate a forum LOL.

She LOVES grapes. I put a few in her bowl last night and when I came back they were all gone. She really has taken a liking to my Quaker. I can hear them chatting back and forth. They are in the spare bedroom (bird room).

I wonder how different IRN's are from QP's?? She moves around alot slower and more cautious than my QP. And she is very quiet compared to him, but of course its only her second day here.

She is a very pretty blue, she is so beautiful. I love her already, but she doesnt feel it yet :D :D

I will lay off trying to bond with her for a week or so. Then try reading to her.
Melika

Post by Melika »

It will take a while for her to adjust and her personality will change along with yours over time. That's the beauty of a twenty-plus year relationship. :)

I find the QPs are a bit more headstrong and territorial. I do believe they are louder than IRNs, not that I haven't heard some loud IRNs! QPs seem to be a bite first ask questions later kind of bird and an IRN will probably run first if it can. I don't have a lot of QP experience, but that's what I've noticed with them. It's how they are in the wild though too. They defend their nests with everything they have and loudly proclaim where they are and what they are doing and what they think of you too.
IRNs, I think, are a little more gentle but they can be just as obnoxious if they want!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

yes grapes are an absolute favourite. ive also found kiwi fruit, apple, corn and sweet potato to be the easiest foods to give them.

make sure she sees you putting the treat in. give it a few more days, then try the steps i suggested - do things close to the cage. you could try and move her to the family/lounge room where you spend most of your time so she can see you and adjusts to your presence, rather than another room with other birds.

i prefer the gradual approach though, thats just me.
Sweetie

Post by Sweetie »

Still no progress
Melika

Post by Melika »

Sweetie wrote:Still no progress
I have only had the chance to work with two rescue birds. These birds come with some serious trust issues and it can't be fixed overnight. Some birds will take years to come around. Follow your instincts with her.

Be aware that she may never like being pet- ever. That goes for any bird really, rescue or not. You are looking to improve her life (you already have!) and I applaud you for taking on the challenge! That you stated right off that you are her final home shows your dedication to her. Thank you for giving her a loving home, she deserves it.

To repair her trust in humans? This takes time.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Sweetie

Post by Sweetie »

She has been flock calling alot lately when I leave the room or she see's me walk by. And I dont understand why because she gets so nervous if I'm around her cage, but then she freaks when I leave?

She also doesnt like the Quaker very much, but the is love struck with her.... LOL
bec

Post by bec »

i have a rescue irn that went through a similar history to your
she was rehomed 3 times by the same parrot rescue
she has major trust issues too
also my poor gals wing was broken & either not set properly or not set at all
(unsure her wing was like that when the rescue first got her)
trivi is slowly settling down but i dont think she will ever totally trust hands
here are some pointers that have helped with her though
eat in front of her as jimmyjack says the way to an irns heart especial if its food you can share
close your eyes while shes watching you ( if the big featherless bird in her flock closses their eyes it must be a safe place)
watch heer body language if she starts panicing stop still till she calms down
and position her cage in the house where she can watch you doing things that take the focus off her (near the computor, in the lounge where you watch telly or in the dining room so she can sit with her "flock and eat)
the fact that she is cntact calling when you leave the room or when she sees you is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!
it means she is forming a bond with you whistle back to her or say something to her eg:" im just getting a cuppa sweetie ill be back in a minute
its amazing how quick they learn "human talk" even if they never use it they understand
for the main treat i use for hand taming games i suggest popcorn it takes nothing away from the everyday diet but they do love it
start slowly put a chair near her cage but be doing something (reading watching telly on the computor)
start eating a bowl of popcorn when you notice you have her attention drop a piece ing her food bowl & say somethi to her (i use "popcorn for trivi") then continue eating after she is comfortable doing it this way and gets more comfortable try offering it straight to her (mind you ive had trivi for a year now & she still wont take food from my hand)
when you are battling trust issues this is a long haul the most important thing is to let her set the pace dont try to force her to trust you
and the most important bit of advice i can give you is to remember that her life is so much better just coz she is with you now
bless you for taking her on and for giving her a forever home
Sweetie

Post by Sweetie »

Thank you bec, that is wonderful advice I will start!!!
bec

Post by bec »

aaaaawwwwww thanks :oops:
keep us posted