good size for cage.

Moderator: Mods

eggy

good size for cage.

Post by eggy »

okay,

so i think after 4 years of research and absuloute fascination. i've decided i'm going to get myself a little buddy.

i already have an old cage just sitting around which is 100cm tall by 50cm x 50cm, is this okay for a ringneck to be housed in most of the time?
if so then great!... but the cage is slightly rusty, and I definatly don't want it to get new wire deseise. i've heard washing and soaking the rust in vinegar will neutralise the zinc. is this true? thanks

-Eric
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?
mickpmc

Re: good size for cage.

Post by mickpmc »

Hello Eggy :D
Your cage seems to small for your bird. If it's been in an aviary, then no. If hand raised;
theres an option. But really, it's old and rusted.
No, actually... I heard trying to wash the rust off... will make it even worse.
I'm sure you can spent an extra $100-200 on a cage and some toys.
It should be able be able to spread its wings when it stretches. It should be able to sit up, not
crouch over.
He should have enough space to eat, sleep and play.
Well, here's my birds cage

If you could get it like mine but a bit wider, it would be great! Mine was good, good enough for now.
It loves the space and the fact to be able to walk down this rope type toy to the bottom.
I bought mine second-hand for $120. When, you buy them brand new (in the same condition of the brand new one)
for a higher price?
Have a look in the newspaper, ask people but you want a descent one. No rust, high and wide (they like to be high)
and thats about it.
If you keep your cage, keep it up high; they like to be high.
Don't hesitate to ask anything else!
Happy new years!

-Michael 8)

Milo...Boy...Buddy
eggy

Post by eggy »

does yours have a flip-open top, because i personally really like the cages with an opening dome on the top (thats what the one i've got at the moment is). but anyways, my question is: do you really think it matters if it's a dome top/flip-open top or not, because if it is flip open you have the luxery of a playstand and a cage in one...

and also what is the demensions of your cage
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

i think the cage is big enough but a rusty one is not a good idea
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

i have a cage what is 60x50x100 with a dome roof and came with a stand. i got it very cheap on ebay (i think $25-30). it would have cost several hundred in a petshop, as ive seen them retailed. i did alot of research and it was the above the "minimum requirements" and it seems ample space for her needs. shes out alot during the day, but even then, she normally just crowds herself at the top. if theyre going to be kept in the cage all the time, i'd opt for a larger one.

id suggest not getting a dome top as it makes it very difficult to hang toys and such. i thought it would look great (and does!) but only realised this flaw later. mind you its not a big deal. the top does open, and on the other smaller baby cage aswell (im going to have to upgrade soon to one big enough for two - where are you based?). the opening top is great. everymorning i open the top and have made a branch that fits across the 'doors' to make a perching branch that she just loves.

despite the size of your cage being right, i would highly recommend getting another one, as the rust is v.bad. check out ebay, dont by one for the shops unless you enjoy paying more than you have to :P
Melika

Post by Melika »

I'm the opposite, I adore dometops (more room inside the cage!) and don't like the flip open tops. Flip open tops restrict the toys you can hang. The birds don't care if the top opens or not and play just as well on top of a normal cage. Of course, I am also short and trying to fetch a parrot from the top of a cage that is taller than me proves difficult! I prefer having a stand or two around the house so Hane can leave his room and come hang out with me downstairs where I won't have to worry about poo.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
mickpmc

Post by mickpmc »

eggy wrote:does yours have a flip-open top, because i personally really like the cages with an opening dome on the top (thats what the one i've got at the moment is). but anyways, my question is: do you really think it matters if it's a dome top/flip-open top or not, because if it is flip open you have the luxery of a playstand and a cage in one...

and also what is the demensions of your cage
I think your question has been already asked.
I really can't remember the dimensions of my cage. 150 X 80
If I remember.

Milo...Boy...Buddy
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

oh melika! see i dont have that problem :P though i do have to clean the occasional poop off the carpet (one level unit - i dont have a choice). iggy uses the top exit to the cage more than the front. i just hate that toys have to be right in the middle on the top, or along the side, not as much flexibility. but as i mentioned, it is a beautiful cage and i think it is more aesthically pleasing than a box style cage.

actually, while on the topic - what is a generally good-sized cage for two irns? please not they are out more of the day, with 2 playstands and several perches to go between.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Like you said, room enough for both birds and multiple perches and toys inside is what you're looking for in size (I would also include extra food dishes so no one can hog it all). ^^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay