coninues to suprise

Moderator: Mods

MariaPMC

coninues to suprise

Post by MariaPMC »

hey :)
i've opted for a chain, other then loose with a probability that he'll ran :(
i've got him for 2 weeks now, how he loves to bite my fingers and specially my bandages COVERING my wounds lol

he's not into this chain deal, but i cannot afford, emocionaly, to loose him. and his book bitting is not good at all, since i love reading lol also he tries to "kill" my cockatiel! i need some advice and support. i'm a very pacient person and calm, but this finger killer is starting to cross my limit, cause i cant go to work with 1000 wounds in my fingers everyday lol someone might think i'm being abused :shock:

atm i got the end of the chain to minimalize any damage he might try to do to himself, also the fall is not as bad. altho when i try to help him, he bites me, but if i pet him (massage/scratch his head) , when he's on my lap, he doesnt try to fly away. :shock:

massaging atm, small pupils beak grinding :x and stoped... and he flew and fell... <_<'' and he's on my lap again xD wierd bird! Doesnt make up his mind!

Should i get him a massive cage? continue to pick up my half eaten books and clean his poo? or continue with the chain "training"?
julie

Re: coninues to suprise

Post by julie »

have you got him chained up? if so yes get him a cage. i would have thought a bigger bird would be more suited to a chain, not that i would ever use a chain on a bird.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I think you should get your bird a cage - as large a cage as you can fit in your house and you can afford. That way, s/he has a place to call home.

You have to work on building your birds confidence in you. I think you need to (and probably will always need to) keep your IRN and your cockatiel separate. You will need to set aside times to interact with your bird.

Ellie.
MariaPMC

Post by MariaPMC »

Well i finally got a proper cage. Apparently my uncle didnt need it anymore so he gave me ^^ peww! Dont need to worry about getting Parrotless or cockatielless XD

:oops: posted the pic of my baby picking a book for reading! and the cage in question :D
Attachments
birds into books!! how smart :D
birds into books!! how smart :D
the cage :p
the cage :p
Foto 284.jpg (35.89 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
Melika

Post by Melika »

I recommend the cockatiel and IRN have separate cages. If I am not mistaken, they're both in the cage in that picture?

I think your cockatiel will be safer that way. ^^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Yes - an IRN may kill a cockatiel... and, I'm not sure, hard to tell by the photo... you may find that cage is a bit small for an IRN? However, it may be bigger than it looks in the photo.

Ellie.
delboy

Post by delboy »

you should take that smaller bird out the ringie will do damage if it kicks off!! not saying theres birds that dont get along. but ive got 2 ringies an a cockatial an ronnie will kill my cockatial out right!" trust" an reggies a bit more softher an there not to bad together an get along but still fight. but ive got both my boys winged clipped an our shadey has earned his wings. but id always watch an keep an eye cos they chase him at times an thats his little escape route (wings) but id say these little birds shouldnt be under estimated cos thye attack dogs an people so if it takes a dislike to your bird its gone !!!
MariaPMC

Post by MariaPMC »

the cage is about 1m x 50cm x 70cm. they seem to get along better now, since i bought 2 differnt food bowls, might just have been territorial issues and the cockatiel has learnt not to get in his way. they look both healthy and happy. =) they keep chirping in the afternoon, and my cockatiel singing also.
I'm very happy with all my birds :) and they're all happy birds and they have a good owner who takes care of them. even today, i noticed there was some kind of crust in my budgie's beak :P i went to buy the anti fungicide straight away. so dw about my cockatiel, if i find that my IRN is starting to get shitty with her i'll find another cage, as suggested. i'd be trully heart broken if one of them died :(
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

sounds like your doing a good job but that cage looks way too small for the ringneck :/
julie

Post by julie »

I just hope its not too late before you realize the cockatiel shouldnt be kept in the cage with the irn at all let alone a cage that small.
MariaPMC

Post by MariaPMC »

i was planning all along to put on a chain on my parrot so he could be acompanied more with my family and me, but since you advised me to get a cage that's what'll do, but i cant afford it till next year. :( i need some tips on which cage i should get also. i was thinking bout this one which is 90 x 60 x 175
i could put in some big branches, like they already have and keep the cockatiel on the one i got.
delboy

Post by delboy »

good on ya girl everyone likes a bit of space from time 2 time even our featherd freinds.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

That looks better than the other cage.... general rule of thumb on cages is get the biggest you can afford and will fit in your space.

Good luck!

You can still give your bird out of cage time (and lots of it)... you can have a birdie play area where your bird can interact with you and your family.

Generally, you'll find your bird easier to tame if you clip their wings... but even if you don't want to do that, you can still tame them (it's just a bit harder). For flighted birds, you can have a few designated areas that they their spaces to hang out within your home.

Best wishes.

Ellie.
MariaPMC

Post by MariaPMC »

aye clipped wings are good, but he still bites :P and i need my hands to work so until i get hard gloves i'm just keeping them outside where they can see the other birds and the seagulls and little birds that hop in my yard. yes i do have a yard, but i'm concerned still about my neighbours cat. :( my cockatiel got freeked out when they saw "Teddy". lol and for some reason my IRN keeps looking like he's a gangster XD i'll give in news. i'm happy that you approved of my cage choise =) cant wait for them to be more loose. <3 birdies
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

my word now i have read it all! chain up your bird! well i never! I could never! You should not get a bird if you cannot provide the correct housing for it< and as for housing a ringneck and cockatiels, you have my sypathies when something happens to it> But good on you rfor gettign a cage, and i just hope you organise another bigger cage for the ringneck in the near future.
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

i have to agree with SCB - as harsh as it sounds, if you cant care for a pet properly, you shouldnt have them, no matter how much you love them. i'd suggest:

- the bigger cage, as soon as possible
- seperate cages
- a play stand (this you can get your creative juices on and build quite cheaply yourself) for the birds to have out of cage play area
- placing the cages higher, on a stand or small table - it looks as though they are on the floor there
- one-on-one time and training
- do some research into your birds and what they need. there are ample pages (like this one, and parrotenrichment.com) that are dedicated to improving the quality of life for your loved ones.
- never ever chain up your birds again

good luck
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Thanks Jimmy, at least you agree, Looking back I did not mean to sound as harsh as i did, but i just could not believe it.
You get people who have the birds best interest at heart, but if you do not have the capabilities to look after them, then rather let them go to a good home who can provide for them.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Chaining a bird was actually pretty standard practice for a long time, though usually for larger parrots. In one of my old pet books on parrot keeping it is recommended and even has pictures. To them caging the bird was cruel. I do not think chaining is as cruel as it sounds, simply archaic. Though some parrots did chew toes and feet off or break a leg, it really isn't so different from parrots who injure themselves today while 'safe' in a cage. For a smaller parrot chaining doesn't work so well since they are flighty. Which is why the poster came here to talk about it and find an alternative. A larger cage was suggested and the poster also said one would be obtained because of your suggestions.

Please keep in mind that users here are from all over the world and standards for keeping pets are different as well. Not everyone treats their animals as if they were children- in many places they are actually treated like animals.

To say someone should not have a parrot because their keeping does not live up to your standards or because they make mistakes... it just isn't right. There is no quicker way to turn a person away from here and the help they and their parrots might get than by rebuking them. I hope you two take this in the spirit in which it is meant, as one of understanding.

I would have sent this via PM, but I think this is something we all need to read and keep in mind as we post here.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MariaPMC

Post by MariaPMC »

in some way they're my children, they do depend on me. they're free atm. i release them once in a while, when i got time from SCHOOL and WORK, its not that i dont love my birds. My budgie died with a flu for eg (makes me cry as i write this, cause i really loved him) and i was so heartbroken, i tried to keep him warm and hand feed him, but i also got the flu, really badly, and it would be worse if i was around him.
SO BACK OFF you paranoid bird owners, loving a pet aint about buying a palace for each bird, i cant afford it but it doesnt EVEN mean i mistreat them, they're well cared birds. i buy what i can for them. I change their water everyday, place new seeds everyday, cook them veggies everyweek, place some fruit every now and again, buy/do toys so they dont get bored, see if they're healthy and talk with them, and when i release them i pet them, scratch their heads and they love it. And i love them, and i'm just simply not gonna be judged for doing my best.

all i asked was an opinion.

PS (for those who actually care): I am looking up big aviaries this week since i got my payment. As i wrote above. =P Also need to find somekind of transparent shelves to cover them, in case it rains and i'm at work or school >_< I nearly have heart attacks when it starts raining and i left them outside under the roof to catch the little sun winter provides
MariaPMC

Post by MariaPMC »

Btw, Melika, thanks for being human and mature. I appreciate it, trully.
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

maria i wasnt attacking you and apologise for it seeming that way :oops: things are so easily misread over the internet and i only had the interest of your pets at heart. i wasnt speaking out of anger or judgement. there is no doubt in my mind that you love your birds, otherwise you wouldnt be on this forum in the first place.

the last thing i want to do is to start an argument - honestly, good luck with your birds and i hope you become a regular contributor to the site
julie

Post by julie »

paranoid bird owners ay :lol: :roll: