Hi from NZ

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

kiwi.relichunter

Hi from NZ

Post by kiwi.relichunter »

Hi,

We are owned by one 12 month old Sun Conure, who replaced a much loved Fischer Love Bird. When we bought the Sun we were actually looking to get a Ringneck as I think they are so Elegant looking, but were then put off by the Pet Shop as being not suitable with kids (ours are 9 &11) because they are prone to biting. I have since found out from your site that this may be a myth caused by a period of bluffing. Friends have just given us two small aviaries which we've spent the last few weekends scrubbing and painting, and then when weaned the same friends have a couple of ringneck babies for us. So this is our first foray, into the world of outdoor birds. I'll be doing some searching on site and then no doubt will be asking a few questions as we really want to give these gorgeous birds the best start in our backyard.
ellieelectrons

Re: Hi from NZ

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi, welcome!

Some IRNs will bite. Both of ours are time but every now and again Janey (our blue IRN) will give as a nip... and it hurts! Our yellow IRN will occasionally bite but his "heart is not in it"... and it doesn't hurt. I think just about all birds will use there beak a bit like a hand... so they nibble to explore... but when they do that, it doesn't hurt.

Whether or not the IRN bites depends on how confident they feel with your family (fear produces bites) and the temperament of the individual bird.

Ellie.
kiwi.relichunter

Thanks Ellie,

Our hand raised conure also knows how to bite occasionally when he has a point to make, but usually only does the odd nibble.

Our ringnecks are parent raised, and will be arriving home next weekend, as they weaned a couple of weeks ago, but we wanted to ensure they were eating well on their own before taking them home. The breeder has been going in and handling them most days, but we are hoping to spend time with them in the aviary to encourage them to be comfortable with us. But this is new ground as we have only had hand raised - single birds before.

Thank you for the welcome to the great forum.

Kiwi.relichunter
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Welcome Kiwi.relichunter.

I to have Sun Conures, great little birds and very smart to. I taught mine to wave in just a few lessons. He is now in the aviary with his girl, (they are sitting on 4 eggs at the moment :)), but he still remembers the trick. I don't ask him to wave often, maybe once a month it that, just to see if he remembers and he always does. BUT if he realises after 2 waves I do not have a treat for him, forget about doing the trick! :roll: :lol:

It is a shame the petshop steered you away from ringnecks, they really are lovely birds, and that looooong tail is so beautiful.
Hopefully the birds you are now getting will be quiet enough for you to work with. Here is a tip, they LOVE their food so can use that as a bribe reward. :)
kiwi.relichunter

Thanks,

The sun conures are funny, but looking forward to our new IRN babies. Thanks for the tip re food bribes, will make sure I have treats in pocket.

Kiwi.relichunter