Loiter turned Newbie

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Dare2b

Loiter turned Newbie

Post by Dare2b »

Howdy all.

I have been loitering through this site for a few weeks now since I got my babies. I currently have 6 baby ringnecks that I have been handraising for friends and family. I have been stealing loads of info off here to assist me!

So Thanks to you all!!

I currently have 1 Lutino, 1 Green and 4 blue ringnecks. My first has just started flying last night. Weaning is difficult as he doesnt want to eat anything yet is hungry.

Other than the Ring necks we have 2 hand raised Galahs, 4 budgies, and a miriad of other animals. 8)
Melika

Re: Loiter turned Newbie

Post by Melika »

Welcome to the board!

Try popping finely diced veggies/fruit into their beaks while they are waiting for formula to heat up. I like to hold the bit between my fingers and let them grab it, like a chick feeding from the parents. Then they know it's food. If they spit it out, try warmed veggies (soft ones like squashes are what we used at first). We didn't have to warm ours- they would just swallow anything put in their beaks! Seemed to help ours get a taste for it anyway. That and leave millet at all times in the cage to play and nibble on. Gotta practice beak dexterity!

Edit: Just saw your other post too. Try to include a variety of veggies and fruits. As many as you can to get them used to all the tastes. One of my favourites to use is a sweet potato mash with diced veggies mixed in. Freeze it in an ice cube tray then bag it and you have serving sizes. Serve cold or warm up.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi dare2b.
You have a nice collection of colours in your ringies.

My babies cut right back on their food intake to, when they are weaning and learning to fly.
I leave a small dish of pellets and seeds in their cage as well as offer fruit, veg and sprouted seed for them to try. I also 'play' with the seed by picking it up and dropping it back into the container. Curiosity usually gets the better of them and they just gotta see what I have. :roll:
It is not long before they eat everything in sight! :lol:
Dare2b

Post by Dare2b »

Today they have carrot, apple, cucumber for fruit and the pellets are always available as is small seed and egg an biscuit. I have seen them picking at the pellets more now so am much more relaxed!

We have had 4 more babies dropped off monday night. 1 blue lacewing, 1 green lacewing, 1 violet lacewing and another blue. The green lacewing keeps putting its head back over its back. I think she may have some issues but am going to wait to see if she grows out of it. Thanks so much for the help!