Hellooo

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Miss_Original

Hellooo

Post by Miss_Original »

Hi,

My name is Amanda,

I dont have an Indian Ringneck yet but am hoping to get one in the next few weeks.
i came across this site while looking for information on these beautiful birds and thought i would join as everyone seems to be so nice and so helpful!!!!!

So i have my massive big cage ( complete with playstand ) food, toys and bedding, all i need now is my Ringneck!!!!!
Im hoping for a blue or a lutino :)
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer.......... it sings because it has a song.
Poppy

Re: Hellooo

Post by Poppy »

Hi Amanda!

you will love a ringneck :) I always dreamed of having one when I was a child and now im living that dream as an adult! I wouldnt trade her for anything in the world! They make such great companions when reared coreectly and given the attention they need.

Good luck finding your perfect friend!

We think caged birds sing, when indeed they cry...
Miss_Original

Post by Miss_Original »

I cant wait :)

I currently have:
* Norbit (Cockatiel)
* Homer & Marge (Black masked lovebirds)
* Jesse and Jane and Elmo (peach faced Lovebirds)
* Curly and Courtney ( Lutino fishers lovebirds )
* and Georgie who is still looking for her forever home (Red collar lorikeet)

Norbit lives inside and the lovebirds have a MASSIVE aviary all to themselves, my fishers are currently sitting on eggs!!!!

Georgie was an adoption who needed to be handfed as her parents tragically passed away, i never intended to keep her but i think if she doesnt find a home soon she will become a permanant fixture in my household lol!!!!!
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer.......... it sings because it has a song.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

That's quite a crew! My ringnecks name is Homer! Although it turned out to be a male and I havent been able to change her name! poor thing!

Im also in the process of building an outdoor aviary so that she can have a nesting box and a companion and maybe one day raise some babies :) Mine is very tame, loves to be with me all the time and is incredibly jealous if I am not paying her attention and im giving it to the dogs!

I have a pair of Yorkshire Terriers who I will be breeding with next year and I feel so sorry for my bird not having a mate and friend in the day while im out :(

I found that I really had to persist with Homer. She was hand reared and then went through her bluffing stage and became very aggressive. I used to have to pick her up in a towel otherwise she drew blood! but I did loads of research (wish I had found this forum back then!) and knew it would pass and today she is all love and happiness with no aggression at all. if anything I watch her blossom daily into a friendlier and more affectionate bird :) she never used to like being touched and now she begs to be touched.

they are truly wonderful birds! Im hoping to convince my fiance into the aviary idea and have 2 soon :)

Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Blue and lutino are wonderful colours! If i get a second one im going to take my friends male who is fully matured and was hand reared but is now wild. I am determined to tame him again. He is blue with a thick ring around his neck :)

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome Amanda,

Great to hear you are doing some research first, and fantastic you found the site and forum. IRN definately change your life. I love my boys along with all the other fids I have and have just added an Eclectus to the family, I have MBS as does most everyone here .. lol (multiple bird syndrome).

Looking forward to hearing about your choice.

xoxo
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi Amanda.

You have come to the right place on anything to do with ringies! :D Soooo many good people here with great information, tips and helpful advice, and even a couple of IRN experts!!!! :D :lol:

Hope you get your baby soon.
Where abouts in NSW are you located?
Miss_Original

Post by Miss_Original »

i Pinkdevil

I am from Newcastle,

Ive spoken to a few "breeders" about ringnecks but a few of them have just had the birds for money not for the love of the bird which is very sad and extremely aggrevating :evil:
I am so glad everyone on here seem to love their birds so much and im loving looking at all the beautiful birds everyone has.
I think i may have found myself a beautiful blue little boy, the breeder absoloutely LOVES his birds and has spent plenty of time with them,
I got to meet him/her and it was a very friendly little bird.
He/She is 8 weeks old now but the breeder likes to keep them until they are 9-10 weeks but he said i can go visit whenever i like :D
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Oh cool!!

Don't forget to show off your newbie baby with plenty of photos. :D :D :D
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Then I have MDS! ha ha! Multiple dog syndrome! We live in a small unit where only 2 pets are allowed. My IRN was the firts pet so she stays! The i got a yorkshire terrier and soon after a second one! needless to say I havent mentioned them to the trustees! And now im dying to get another bird to let my female have a friend as well as a partner but alas I am not allowed to! So i have told my fiance that after our lease is up we have to move to a place where I can have an aviary built!

You are right to look at the passion of the breeder - it is very important. these days no matter whether it is a bird, a puppy, a kitten or a lizzard, people are in it for the money they THINK they will make. a true breeder knows it is done for the passion not the cash.

Miss_Original

Post by Miss_Original »

Couldn't agree with you more Poppy!!
I think I have multiple pet syndrome, on top of
The birds I've also got:
* Boston ( beagle )
* Tyson ( lab x )
* Jedda ( boxer x )
* Lexi ( RSPCA cat )

Thank goodness I have a decent block of land
For them all to play on!!! And that the cat loves birds :)
My beagle has papers and is registered but he is desexed it's amazing how many people tell me how much I could sell beagle puppies for, I just want him to be my pet :) id also love to breed ringnecks but even if they didn't breed I still think they are awesome pets ;)
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Unfortunately with a lot of pets, their popularity can often cause them more problems than anything. We have the problem now with the Yorkshire Terrier becoming so popular worldwide that every second person who gets one doesnt have them sterilised and decides to breed which not only puts huge risk on the mother (because it is not an easy breed to breed with due to size and many bitches die trying to give birth) and is rapidly killing the standard of the dogs in the country. Good breeders keep their show stock for themselves or sell them to reputable breeders for their breeding programs and those who are pet quality are registered with a breeding restriction and a contract to state the new owner is liable for having them sterlised by a certain age or the breeder has a right to take the animal back. We have had to be hard on enforcing this to protect our beloved breed.

I find the same problem with IRN's. on a local site there must be 100 adverts or more from different people across the country either selling IRN babies or selling the breeding pairs and cages. And im only talking about the IRN and not all the other bird species being bred in captivity. a true breeder of any species, be it bird, dog whatever, should know that there is no money to be made out of it. we do it to improve the breed standard and protect our dogs from ending up unwanted on the streets. I often wonder why I see wild IRN's in our areas (lots of them) and it's because people take on a resonsibility they dont stick to and they dont realise an IRN lives to 25 years and they let them go because they cant sell them because of the flood of birds available. no matter what species we as people are passionate about I think we need to take a firm stand against over breeding due to money making schemes gone wrong.

The only reason I would ever let my bird breed is to let her be as natural as she can be. and im having second and third thoughts about that even just to try and keep the population down and the demand low. Even my puppies are bred to order by people who have been home checked and passed the regulations I require to be met.

Miss_Original

Post by Miss_Original »

Unfortuntely there seems to be a shortage of Ringnecks in my area but thankfully no-one here is just letting them go, I have only ever seen one that was in the wild. If I was ever to breed ringnecks I would breed for quality not quantity and would only buy from a reputable breeder.
I've seen all to well the harsh reality of over breeding an animal, Lexi my cat was dumped in a garbage bag on the side of a busy road along with her mother and littermates.
My beagle is show quality ad the breeder asked if I would keep him intact to mate with one of her girls but I couldn't risk an "accidental" breeding if he ever was to escape, all of my fur babies are desexed and none of my birds are just for breeding. All animals should be pets first.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

More so with a bird seeing as they should be wild and they need so much more attention than most pets. I find my parrot more time consuming than my dogs but she demands my attention all the time. She isnt an animal you can just leave in a cage for days. Mine is locked up only during the day because the neighbours cat has tried to catch her a few times and if i leave her out she kinda destroys things! like TV wires! but she has a big stand outside and people are always amazed to watch her sit outside all happy. I try to let her live as naturally as I can.

Here is South Africa the adverts for ringnecks are endless. It makes me quite angry. every pet store is over flowing with IRNs and other parrots. they have become very popular. When I got mine 2 years ago I had to look for her and when I found her I had no time to waste because they were in hot demand and not so many available. Now it is the other way around.

We had a whole family of them at our old house that would come into the garden and eat the fruit off our trees :) they were so much bigger and brighter and they would call and mine who was a baby at the time would call back :) it was sweet :)