Sick IRN

Moderator: Mods

cheryl_mc

Sick IRN

Post by cheryl_mc »

My IRN Charlie is "sick". He started off with itchy eyes so I treated his cage for mites & lice. His eyes sort of cleared up but now he is very lethargic, off his food and has an odour about him, he is only 10 months old! I have a vet appt with a supposed reputable avian vet at 10 in the morning but am worried that he may not make it to then :(
333greenbean333

Re: Sick IRN

Post by 333greenbean333 »

Poor charlie :cry:
I hope he makes it till then, and I hope he becomes better.
hopes and thoughts from David :)
(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
bec

Post by bec »

have you got a heat lamp? or a way to keep him warm?
i hope he gets better soon
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I hope Charlie survives the night and he gets better soon. As Bec said, a heat lamp or even a lamp that emits some heat is probably the only thing you can do for Charlie.

Ellie.
cheryl_mc

Post by cheryl_mc »

I live in North Queensland so heat isn't a problem. I have managed to get him to eat half a quarter of an apple so am feeling a lot better about his survival rate. He is still sleeping lots so will keep him inside tonight and review in the morning. Just hope this vet is as good as people say! :roll:
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Cheryl

From what I've read, it's not so much about keeping him warm but providing a concentrated heat source. I think it stimulates circulation and activates the immune system?

Here are some links I managed to find when I googled it:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Budgies-3463 ... k-bird.htm
http://www.avianweb.com/sickbirdcare.html
http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/comm ... sick-birds

These aren't the best links... but they are a starting point. Even though you are in North Qld, I would still encourage you to give your bird a heat lamp of some sort (even a normal lamp will do). Just make sure the bird can get away from it to another corner of the cage if it is feeling too hot.

Good luck and fingers crossed for Charlie!

Ellie.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Some more information and links:
How To Provide Supplemental Heat

A supplemental heat source is essential for ill or injured birds. Birds lose body heat very rapidly when ill or injured. Place the sick bird in a warm, humid and dim area with a temperature of 80 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. This area should be as quiet and secluded as possible. To create a warm environment:

* Cover a small cage with a towel and place the cage on a heating pad that is set on low.
* Infrared lamps can also be used, but place them slightly back from the cage to avoid overheating the bird. Make sure that no cords or parts of heating pads are within reach where they may be chewed by the bird.

The inside temperature of the cage can be monitored with an aquarium thermometer that has been placed out of the bird’s reach. Wings that are held away from the body or panting are signs indicating that the bird is too warm. Provide easy access to water or to an electrolyte replacement solution for the bird. Sick birds can dehydrate rapidly due to lack of water consumption and the disease processes. Electrolyte solutions rehydrate the bird more quickly and also provide replacement of those electrolytes lost with vomiting or diarrhea. Discuss the recommended solution with your veterinarian.

from http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-an ... a-vet.aspx

First Aid for the sick bird

A sick bird has three main requirements warmth, fluids and food.

A bird's normal body temperature is 410C. This is reached by absorbing heat from the air around it (the ambient temperature), and then generating the balance by metabolising food to produce energy (and therefore heat). A sick bird is not eating much, and therefore its production of metabolic energy is decreased. Its body temperature starts to drop, so it fluffs its feathers to trap body heat (much as a doona does on a bed). If its temperature continues to drop it will become hypothermic, go into shock, and die. This will usually happen before the bird dies of whatever has made it sick in the first place.

So sick birds need to be warmed up - urgently. Putting a blanket over its cage won't help the bird is not generating enough heat for the blanket to trap and keep warm. The most effective way to warm a bird up is to place it under a light (a bulb, not a fluoro). The heat generated by the bulb will raise the ambient temperature to 350 400C quickly, making the bird much more comfortable. The bulb should be nearly touching the wire of the cage, right beside a perch. This allows the bird to get right up to it if it wants, and to move away if it feels too hot. The light needs to be left on 24 hours a day, until the bird is no longer seeking its warmth. By warming the bird up, you overcome hypothermic shock and allow the bird to direct its metabolism towards getting better, rather than just keeping warm. Try not to disturb or handle the bird too much until it becomes more active. You need to curb your patience until it is feeling stronger.

Warming a bird up is the single most important thing you can do for it. Don't try to do anything else for an hour or so, until the bird is becoming more alert and active. Once you have it under a light, ring your vet to make an appointment. Don't ask us for a diagnosis or treatment over the phone it just can't be done. All sick birds look the same it is only by getting a thorough history, doing a careful physical examination, and using appropriate lab tests that we can determine the problem and an appropriate treatment. Anything else is just a guess, and it is unfair to put us in that situation.

If it is going to be some time before you can get to the vet, the next thing to do is to get some fluids into your bird. If it is drinking well (and not vomiting), adding some glucose powder to the water may be all you need to do. Place 1 teaspoon into 100mls water, and let the bird drinks as much as it likes. If the bird is not drinking, or isn't drinking enough, you need to give it the fluids, either with an eye-dropper or a crop needle. If you are comfortable injecting fluids, giving the bird 5% of its bodyweight twice daily under the skin is quite effective.

Offer your bird a variety of foods. If it isn't eating, you may need to crop feed it. We use a hand rearing formula but if you don't have this handy, a vegetable and/or fruit baby food works well.

REMEMBER DON'T GIVE FLUIDS OR FOOD TO YOUR BIRD UNTIL IT HAS WARMED UP. A weak bird given fluids or food by mouth could easily choke on them.

from http://www.westtoowoombavetsurgery.com/ ... 98bbast6vv

Ellie.
cheryl_mc

Post by cheryl_mc »

Thank you all, have got Charlie in my bedroom with the bedlamp on, his temp is 35.9 C which is around the 80 F. He is on a stand up in the warmer part of my room and has food and water if he wants. He is still sleeping lots but then I spose it is night.

Appreciate the websites, am going to print lots of stuff up so if, I hope not, this ever happens again I'll be better prepared
cheryl_mc

Post by cheryl_mc »

Ok just an update, thanks evryone for ur concern, my Charlie is one sick bird, has suspected psittacosis. Cant know for sure until we do a blood test which wont happen on a weekend :? He's not looking good at all after the car ride to the vets either so I am now sweating cos I'm keeping him in a warm place, he has antibiotics, food supplement and additive to his water which I am trying to get down him every few hrs. Apparently conjunctivitis is a common symptom of psittacosis so, if I had have got him to a vet when his eyes FIRST flared up (even though it wasnt that bad and settled overnight) we wouldn't have him at deaths door now!

Lesson to be learned, at first sign of problems consult ur vet, I may have already left it too late, only time will tell :cry:
cheryl_mc

Post by cheryl_mc »

RIP Charlie :(
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Cheryl

I'm so sorry. :cry:

I'm sending good thoughts yours and Charlie's way. I hope he gets better. Poor little fellow.

Our lutino is a Charlie too.

Ellie.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I only just read this thread and got to the part where you said one sick bird. I was thinking, come on Charlie, put up a fight. Then I scrolled to the next part......
So very sorry Charlie didn't make it. :( :( :(
cheryl_mc

Post by cheryl_mc »

Thanks all for the support and kind words. Unfortunately Charlie didn't make it. The car ride into the vets really stressed him but IF I had have got him there earlier as in days ago, maybe the outcome would have been a lot better. For anyone reading this thread PLEASE, if your bird has weepy eyes, even for one day, or seems a bit off colour, get them checked out. If this advise can save one bird's owner from feeling how I do at the moment then Charlie's death wont seem as senseless :?
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I'm so sorry Cheryl. :cry:

Poor Charlie.