itching and plucking his feathers

Moderator: Mods

Janus

itching and plucking his feathers

Post by Janus »

Hi all..

We've just brought Janu from a breeder and had him for 3 weeks. His just over 3 months old and when we first got him he would come on our hands when we said step up. Over the past couple of weeks he bites a lot and won't come on our hands. I've continued to carry on with step up and giving him treats which is working 'slowly'.

Anyway over the past week Janu's been itching more and more. Now hes plucking his feathers and I'm starting to see patches on his chest. Is this serious or is it moulting? We give him vegetable, parrot food and apples. So he has a good diet but he may be stressed? Is it worth me taling him to the vets, or could it be he has mites?

Can you help and advise as we're all concerned.

Kind regards

Jamie
floridamedgirl

Re: itching and plucking his feathers

Post by floridamedgirl »

I am a strong believer in "well visits". Did you take him to the vet for a checkup when you first got him? i recommend doing this to help diagnose any problems he may be bringing home with him.

At this point, its possible he is stressed, its possible he has mites or some other skin irritant. Who knows?

If you have access to a vet, I would definitly have him seen and also run some baseline bloodwork and exam to make sure he is in good health all around!

If his skin is irritated, that would most likely explain his cranky behaviors too.

Good Luck
Jess
and Wally (Freeflight Male Blue IRN 18months)
"Wally" IRN Male DOH 3/8/09
Janus

Re: itching and plucking his feathers

Post by Janus »

Hey Wally

Thanks for your advice, will get Janu an appointment at the Vets this week and see what happens. He starting to look a little messy with he patcy feathers, will these grow back once we've osrted the problem out?

REgards

Jamie