Ringneck question before buying...

Moderator: Mods

mickpmc

Ringneck question before buying...

Post by mickpmc »

Hi there!
I rang up my local pet store and they said they have a Ringneck about 1yr old.
I was thinking of somthing younger but they would have to been weaned...right? :roll:
And they do live for 30 years so It wouldn't matter at what age really. It dosn't have to be
so young so that It can learn words and become fond of you at a young age?
Also, Do they chew on wood. Most of my house it made out of wood so would I have to give
it a couple of chew toys, "maybe a piece of bark to chew on" before it comes out of the cage.
Another question is, Is it noisy? I mean, how loud is it? Proably like any other parrot but
do they continusly sqwak? And how much does the bird normally cost, I think $60 to $80 or maybe even more for some types of birds. I know they are a good pet and people have
to agree with that. They live for 30 years, they pick up on speech quick,they are great
to hang around with,you can teach them cool tricks, they are good for the family as a pet...the list goes on and on. What age do you think this bird is in the picture?
LINK:
http://www.zimmermanpets.com/images/ringneck%20baby.JPG
Please answer these queustions...
Thanks

-Michael

Milo...Boy...Buddy
lenny_hayes

Re: Ringneck question before buying...

Post by lenny_hayes »

mickpmc wrote:Hi there!
I rang up my local pet store and they said they have a Ringneck about 1yr old.
I was thinking of somthing younger but they would have to been weaned...right? :roll:
And they do live for 30 years so It wouldn't matter at what age really. It dosn't have to be
so young so that It can learn words and become fond of you at a young age?
Also, Do they chew on wood. Most of my house it made out of wood so would I have to give
it a couple of chew toys, "maybe a piece of bark to chew on" before it comes out of the cage.
Another question is, Is it noisy? I mean, how loud is it? Proably like any other parrot but
do they continusly sqwak? And how much does the bird normally cost, I think $60 to $80 or maybe even more for some types of birds. I know they are a good pet and people have
to agree with that. They live for 30 years, they pick up on speech quick,they are great
to hang around with,you can teach them cool tricks, they are good for the family as a pet...the list goes on and on. What age do you think this bird is in the picture?
LINK:
http://www.zimmermanpets.com/images/ringneck%20baby.JPG
Please answer these queustions...
Thanks

-Michael

Hey again :lol: lol!
I often give lenny icypole sticks and he shreds them to pieces, he loves it.
My ringneck was $120 (I know, expensive!!)
The bird in the picture is probably a month or a month and a half. It looks very young.
Lenny doesn't often squawk continusely, but the occasional 4-5 in a row. They can get VERY loud. But not often, they usually only squawk if they want attention or food, but they will soon adapt to feeding time, play time, etc.
You have to be careful with the different types of bark you give to the bird, I just stick with icypole sticks.
I don't know about the different types of bark, sorry.

Emily :wink:
My 4 pets I love more than anything:
Pixie my dog, Garfield my cat, Lenny my parrot, Abbey my Kitten.