Chicks night feeding

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

Chicks night feeding

Post by Lauren »

:? This might sound silly. But its my 1st chicks! Im still learning.. and so are they. Just wanted to know.. Are mum and dad meant to be eating during the night to fill up for the chicks? Jibby (male) is contantly eating during the day, doing his bit for the chicks.. but I cant tell whether he feeds them at night.. he just seems to sleep in his cage until I get up, while Lola (female) sits in the nest? They take turns eating and chick minding all day.. its so cute! Ive only managed to get 1 peak since our 1st chick hatched. I can hear more than 1 in there now. Im hoping to have a look today if theyll let me! :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
ellieelectrons

Re: Chicks night feeding

Post by ellieelectrons »

Congrats on the chicks! Whilst I don't know the answer to your question, people who handraise on this forum say that they don't do feedings during the night (eg. they stop at 10 or 11 pm and do the next feeding at 6am).... so I'm guessing that means that the chicks do go through the night?

Ellie.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

usually with handraising you feed the baby during the night until they are about 1 week old
the parents should be feeding during the night, you probaly just wouldnt notice if your asleep.
plus i dont think the dad needs to feed the mum as much as she feeds the babies because her crop holds more so she would be able to keep feeding babies for longer until the dad feeds her again
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Thankyou! They are only 3 days old at the moment. Perhaps they are feeding at night when we are asleep. haha I even leave a nightlight on for them so they can see the night time snacks haha. Thanx again. Doesnt help to ask the silly questions. Im too excited for them. :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Louie

Post by Louie »

Hi Lauren, what colour chicks did you get from a blue hen and a green cock?? oh and are the parents split to any other colours??
I currently own: 1 male, green Indian Ringneck, 1 Labrador Retriever, 1 Mini Lop rabbit and 4 backyard chickens (silkies)
ImageImageImage