knocking no more

Moderator: Mods

birdluv

knocking no more

Post by birdluv »

Knocking tonight again.. up until 45 minutes ago.. So i then go downstairs and open the nest box to peek and she killed him!! WHY? and could this have been prevented or was it inevitable? They have been a bonded pair for a couple of years.. I feel horrible.. what happens if she lays eggs in the next day or so/ will they be any good? Boy do I feel badly
Jodie

oh, my

Post by Jodie »

I am so sorry for your loss. I do not know what to tell you. I have heard that a female will kill a male she does not like, but this is if they are introduced to one another (not being bonded like yours were). The knocking you referred to sounded like the flirting I have seen with my pair. Perhaps someone else could give you more insight on this one. I am truly sorry for your loss. I know how it feels to lose a bird!
If she does lay eggs, in seven days gently remove them and hold them up to a light. You should be able to see if they are clear or whether there is a baby. I do not know if she can keep the clutch by herself. I have read that at times it is necessary to separate a male from the female, but there was an opening for the male to still feed the female. Perhaps someone could give you insight on this question too.
I am sorry I am not much help, I just wanted to give you some input.
chris_c

lose of a male

Post by chris_c »

sorry about your lose, but i have heard of a female raising the clutch on her own if the eggs are fertile and the female is in tio-top condition, otherwise she will throw the eggs out of the nest box or just abandon them. some people might have different appinions on this but it has been done according to a breeder of 27 years. best of luck, keep us posted!