How noisy are Indian Ringneck Parakeets?

Moderator: Mods

Luti-Kriss

How noisy are Indian Ringneck Parakeets?

Post by Luti-Kriss »

I've been looking into possibly buying an IRN for a couple of weeks now. But I'm wondering, how many of you have noise issues with your IRN's? I don't mind a bird who makes little noises here and there, those are bearable and I can easily deal with that. But if it's loud ear piercing squawking all day, I won't be able to take it. I read a bit about it, people say they can be quite noisy. But can it be fixed as long as they have lots of stuff to do? Toys, socialization, ect.?

I already have 2 cockatiels, and they're pretty quiet most of the time. Especially for 2 males. If I get an IRN, I don't wanna lose my sanity because I'm hearing squawking all day.

So tell me, how loud really are these birds on average?
cocoschick

Re: How noisy are Indian Ringneck Parakeets?

Post by cocoschick »

They can be very noisey although my male handtame irn talks more than he shrieks untill you walk away from him then you get an ear pearcing shriek which is usually repeated a few times, we are so used to it we can ignore it but for someone not used to it it can be really noisey. Our house is filled with noise we also have a Grey an Eclectus a Dog & 3 kids, so for us it's easily ignored :D the best thing to do would be to search for video or irn sounds on the net.
Luti-Kriss

Post by Luti-Kriss »

I find it funny that I only got one reply. This is an IRN forum!! Everyone on here should have an answer for me!!
julie

Post by julie »

Luti-Kriss wrote:I find it funny that I only got one reply. This is an IRN forum!! Everyone on here should have an answer for me!!
yeah and we actually have a life away from here too.

It totally depends on the bird and the environment it is kept in and come from ect. We cant guarantee that if you get one it wont be noisy, pretty muchly like if you get a dog and it starts yapping all day but the breed isnt known to yap or a breed that is supposed to guard but instead that particular one licks intruders.

some people complain that their irn doesnt make any sound at all and some complain that they make too much noise, its really hard to say but they are capable of making a racket.
Kimberly4403

Post by Kimberly4403 »

Im wondering the same thing, the noisiest sounds i can find is this off Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp243Z9Q6DM

Is this the usual noises they make???
cocoschick

Post by cocoschick »

No, this is just what this bird thinks is an interesting sound. i'll try & record mine today & post a link for you to hear.
cocoschick

Post by cocoschick »

Got this this morning, this is Sky my female she's quite noisy. This is about as noisy as you can get i think, she's a aivery bird. Lewis always tries to shut her up by kissing her lol :D I'll try & post a video of Lewis, who is cuddly tame, he will still screech when you walk away from him but it's nothing like Sky. All birds are different like Julie above explained.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJZKhcqwi_Y
Elivia

Post by Elivia »

My almost One year old 'bluey' can be noisy. but nothing i cant stand. He uses the high pitched shreik in the morning when he can hear me get up and get ready for work and cant see me yet. He also does this high pitch call pretty much whenever we get in the door and we have not said hello yet. Any other time he just chatters away to himself. He is usually his noisiest when we are eating dinner (cause he wants out, but only talks and not shreiks) or when we are watching tv when he is in his cage when he always wants out. He is quiet sometimes too so he is not noisy all the time.
Luti-Kriss

Post by Luti-Kriss »

Thanks guys. And thank you cocoschick for the video of their basic noise. That's not too bad. I should be able to handle that if I decide to get one of these guys. If I do though, I'll be training it to be quiet. Lol. I live in a pretty quiet environment already though. My house isn't really noisy or chaotic, ever. And that should definitely help with keeping the noise level down.

Another question: Does anybody also have cockatiels? If so, how do your IRN's interact with the tiels while outside the cage? If I decide to get an IRN, I want to make sure it won't be bothered by the two tiels I already have... I watched a couple videos on YouTube of an IRN and a tiel together. They seemed pretty friendly towards each other. Is this usually the case? Or can IRN's be aggressive towards tiels?
delboy

Post by delboy »

all birds can be noisey our little budgies squabble all day there a couple an ave been wiv each other years. but they out do the boys ronnie n reggie an our shadey the 2 boys are ringnecks an shadeys a cockatial. an trust there noisey" betty n barnie budgies" an i was thinking it was gona be the boys. it all boils down to the bird itself if hes gona shout hel shout if you want to find out go stand in a pet shop for 20minutes whos got birds if you can handle it all good if you cant u got your answer a. :) delboy
Lolly

Post by Lolly »

Just today I was telling hubby I am so sick of the NOISE .....please can I sleep sometime ????

Too funny .....6 ringnecks and 2 lorys arent as bad as my single lory ,since we got the pair of lorys our other lory will constantly scream ..I think it is because she wants to mate theres a male in the house but when I put the 3 of them in the 6foot cage she was a meanie so she is now in her own cage again .
Think we need a sound proof room for her .

I like the sounds of the ringnecks ...torn on what to do about our lory we have had for 5 years now tho grrrrr