how to tell the age of a indian ringneck

Moderator: Mods

rucus

how to tell the age of a indian ringneck

Post by rucus »

hello i am about to buy a indina ringneck.
the guy told me he was 3 months old but it looks closer to a year or 9 months.
i cannot provice a picture but i can describe it for you.

its beak is not fully orange still pink.
its feathers look fully feathered with no little fluffs
its tail is realy long but has a single tail feather
its feet are still white.
and there is no ring...

with all that i am looking for a young bird so i can raise him myself. the bird is friendly so maybe it is past its bluffing stage but i still cannot tell how old it is..and the guy told me he was 3 months which is hard to belive because its feathers look fully feather...he might be saying its a young bird because they live so long but i want a young bird so i can raise him myself from young. you must understand .
333greenbean333

Re: how to tell the age of a indian ringneck

Post by 333greenbean333 »

Hi,
What you have asid there sounds more like a 3 month old but try and post some pictures of him and i could give you a more accurate answer.
(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
rucus

Post by rucus »

yeah and by the looks of it hes feather r fully grown that means they are molted already..for the first time im guessing? so how does that facor in his age..and his tail feather is really long but his beak is pinkish..
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

what color is the bird your looking at getting?
rucus

Post by rucus »

yellow
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

yellow IRN's beaks usually dont go red
their feet also stay white
does it have the orange/yellow circles around its eyes? if it does its atleast 6 months old
rucus

Post by rucus »

i cant remember i dont think it has any color around its eyes..but its tail looks fully feather and he has no fluffs..and his beak is like pinkish with black mix it..the guy said hes baby cus hes beak isnt fully red..and he also said he bought it from a pet store but apparently he threw away the papers :? i jus dont wana buy an old bird...and the bird seems really friendly with strangers he even steped up on my finger so maybe hes past his biting stage i uno..
333greenbean333

Post by 333greenbean333 »

Hi,
Is it possible to get a picture of it? It doesnt really matter too much if its old as they do live around 30 years if they are treated well. :D
(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
julie

Post by julie »

lutinos (yellow) get red beaks.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Yep .. Julie is right Lutino (yellows) get very red beaks indeed. IRN also are fully fledged by approx 10 weeks, therefore, as early as 10 weeks + will be fully feathered. The beak will also be rather red by 10 weeks once weaned onto good fruit and veg, so it sounds like the bird may need some good nourishment. Some breeders will only wean onto soaked seed, but these birds are predominantly fresh foods (fruit, vegi's, nuts, etc.) and only supplemented with a seed.

If they told you the bird is 3 months, that is all you can go by. IRN's will only show a ring approx 2 years of age but can be as early as 17 months or as late as almost three. So if by three years from now there is no ring you have a female. If in the mean time a ring comes in you have a male. If the ring does come in this is another way to estimate the age of your bird. (give or take a few months really is no matter)

Bluffing stages are varied, but usually happen around 10 months, they also get very niggly and can be bitey in breeding season, or when moulting.

It does sound like the bird is somewhere between 10 weeks and three months and if it is stepping up is very well tamed. I myself would take it if that is the case and start to feed it nicely and give it a loving good home :-))))

Cheers
Angie
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

atvchick95

Post by atvchick95 »

I know this post is a bit old but I thought it would be helpful for others searching the forums

but Here is my Green IRN when I got her @ 3 months old

close up of her face

and here she is now at 1 year and 1 month old she came to me with a butchered wing clip and just now getting them back, but because of it she broke her tail off , which is now growing back as well

Close up of her Face

there is not much of a difference between her when she was 3 months old to now being a year old, she still has black on her beak, just a little bit less than she did as a 3 month old. . but other than that if the pictures didn't say how old she was most wouldn't know how old she was and would assume she was the same age in all the pics
and her beak comes out more red in pictures than it is in person its not that dark at all
AliciaBender

Post by AliciaBender »

Can anyone perhaps help with an estimation of age for our fella
Attachments
IMG_20161016_19947.jpg
Rings4life

Post by Rings4life »

You have a beautiful male ringneck! Congrats! IMO he looks to be 2yrs and maybe a little more.
angiieee1588

Post by angiieee1588 »

I'm currently going through the same I just got two IRNs
Freyja: Is grey and white has an orange beak and white feet he/she is quite solid looking and full of beautiful feathers, no signs of a ring though and a long tail we were told she was 3 months old where as
Floki: We were told was 4 months is a blue (with appearing green) whos the breeder told us was molting so his/her tail feathers are short and he/she is slowly changing with more and more green appearing he has signs of a vibrant blue ring, orange beak and white feet.
Norine

Post by Norine »

Hi! I am also wondering how to tell the age of a indian ringneck parrot. I just bought one from gumtree, the seller said it is 5 months old, but after reading your reviews i guess its older, and any tips to successfully tame an untamed parrot. Could you tell or estimate the age of the IKR?
Attachments
_20170305_002922.JPG
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

A young adult, maybe female?, more than two months, but possibly younger than two years, imho,
KLakosky

Post by KLakosky »

I just received my ringneck and was wondering if you could give me an estimate on possible age. Also what are the best sources out there to train it.It seems very skid dish, I don't know weather it is a male or female. I can't seem to download a picture I keep getting told file is to big even after compressing it. If someone could help me with that it would be awesome .Thanks
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

As a rule of thumb a baby has little all black boot button eyes, and will not be fully fledged, it's tail will be quite short too. An older juvenile will have orange eyes with black pupils, fully fledged and have a medium length tail, but will still be quite small.
Dev628

Post by Dev628 »

Can someone tell me how to tell if my IRN is male or female and age. I was told it might be girl about 2 years. She barely talks she always on top of her cage. My kids aare always talking to her she gets enough attention but still we had her for over a week
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

A 2 yr old male will have a coloured ring (collar) around his neck.
BobbyCas

Post by BobbyCas »

sanjays mummi wrote:A 2 yr old male will have a coloured ring (collar) around his neck.
At which point does the collar become prominent enough to be noticable, Sanjays mummi?
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sorry for the late reply, spam puts me off visiting!, anyway, around 18 months , and definitely by 3 years old.
yandel

Post by yandel »

Based on the ring, the beak, scaly feed and plumage, you can determine whether your Indian ring neck is a juvenile (younger than 2 to 3 years) or an adult. For anything more specific, you will need the assistance of an expert.
bullet force multiplayer, 192.168.0.1 router
smartalyx

Post by smartalyx »

Hi could you help, I have just bought a ringneck and was told it was about 8 month old no older than a year. Once at home and having a good look and a bit more research I think it is a lot older. It also has a ring on its leg violet in colour with the markings 5R NB N8 15. I have spoken with the pet shop and he has said that breeders use up old rings before buying new ones but I’m not convinced. I have added a photo will try and get a better one soon. Thanks in advance.
Echo 2.jpg