Help! Broken Leg?

Moderator: Mods

Hermionestwin

Help! Broken Leg?

Post by Hermionestwin »

My 7 1/2mth old IRN has been not putting pressure on her left since i noticed at around 730 last night, I put her in her cage around 830-9ish and she was sitting only on her right foot. This morning i found her still on her right foot... I wasnt home all day yesturday, but family were...i have a feeling she may have sprained or broken her foot...and i've been watching her...and the left foot is warm from her holding it up tight into her body....she's eating and drinking fine...and she's a lil fluffed up but it is a lil cold at the present time....I wont be able to get to a vet till maybe Monday...but most likely tuesday...Also when she stands on both feet on my foot, i can feel the pressure/grip difference....
what should i do til i'm able to get to the vet?
the way her cage is set up is that her main perch is up high, but close to her food...and her stand the food and water is on the bottom of her stand...
Sash4

Re: Help! Broken Leg?

Post by Sash4 »

You could get someone else to take it ASAP, Rehome to someone that will take it too a vet, or break or sprain your own leg and both wait till Tuesday???

A bit harsh but you wouldnt leave a dog or cat with a sprained/broken leg 3/4 days before getting it sorted!!
Hermionestwin

Post by Hermionestwin »

thanks for making me more guilty than i do.... there is only one avian vet thats not 3 hrs away from where i live isnt opened til monday...its saturday.....and FYI i have waited 3-4 days til going to the doctors with a broken wrist, ankle and toe....so thanks for the obvious advice....not... :roll:
333greenbean333

Post by 333greenbean333 »

Sash4, I dont think you should go around making people feel bad, It not Hermionestwin fault that the vet does not open till monday.
I was in the same situation about 2 years ago, What I did was get a toothpick and cut the pointy end off. Got 2 twisties and rap it onto him leg, that should keep it good till monday/tuesday.

goodluck
(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
Hermionestwin

Post by Hermionestwin »

Thanks Greenbean :D we've padded the floor of her cage with towels, so when we go out later today if she falls its a soft landing..and we've lowered the food water and perches so its not a high fall....we're only going out for an hour or two.. :)
333greenbean333

No problem, happy to help.
Please reply if leg mends.
good luck
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
Hermionestwin

Post by Hermionestwin »

:) thanks will do
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Do you have a red light that you could switch off and on to keep the bird warm? Warm is essential when they're in the well. Move her to a smaller cage, so as to restrict movement. If you cant bring the food and water near her. Dont put any multivitamins in the water, it would serve to pollute it and you dont want to stress the kidneys.

You sure its broken and shes not just holding it up there? Does she ever alternate and hold the other foot up instead? Well keep a watch on but I agree with Sash on waiting till Tuesday. ASAP is the best. I highly doubt its sprained. A birds natural instinct is to never show its injured so it wouldnt be preyed upon. But if your observations are right and shes really got something wrong with that foot, than its not something to take it easy about, as shes not trying to hide it.

Well good luck, if there are no emergency centers in your region that are open on the weekends, I'd take her in first thing on Monday morning.

Keep her warm! But dont bake her :wink:
Sash4

Post by Sash4 »

Sorry you did actually find it harsh, but "get to a vet Monday,maybe tuesday"..Hopefully a family member or friend can take it on monday if you cant, it seems it is in pain from what you describe...
If it seems broken or badly sprained i would take out all perches and let it go about on the floor of the cage, so it doesnt have the extra hassle of balancing on only one leg,and not let it out as it may damage it further and keep it warm,
Goodluck ....
Hermionestwin

Post by Hermionestwin »

That's okay Sasha4... i have taken both your advices, and i'm planning to try to get her to the vet tomorrow(monday), i have padded the bottom of her cage with towels may take out the perches tonight....
smallworld, i've been watching her since i noticed the leg, and she only puts slight pressure on it when stretching her right on or moving from food-water-to her favourite spot....even when shes on a flat surface she balances on one foot...and when shes on my finger she puts both feet down but i can feel she isnt putting much pressure on her sore foot....
I've been feeling so guilty about not being able to get her to a feet..and worrying about the cost and time it will take to get her to my vet thats an avian one nearby(ish)
Thanks for all your advice
:D
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Ayy her condition sounds sad.

Its good that you moved all the food nearer, that would limit activity and energy can be conserved for recovery. Keep her warm too.

I just wanted to say, that it could also be a nerve problem and not necessarily a broken foot. Depending on the cause, it could be in the leg, the backbone or the head. So thats why you wouldnt want to delay treatment. In any case, your vet will want to do a x-ray at to confirm. If shes in pain they might give you metacam. Its good because its got no alcohol in it. Some types of bird medication have small percentages of alcohol which will damage the liver.

Also check for a loss of appetite. If shes in too much pain, she wont be eating much. In this case, it might be necessary to feed her by syringe or encourage her to eat.

All the best :)
Hermionestwin

Post by Hermionestwin »

Hi all
I took Evie to the vet Monday and she had a minor sprain, and now she seens to be fine :) thanks for your advice and help :D
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Glad you took her to the vet the first thing you could and I'm also glad to hear that it was almost nothing :)
Hermionestwin

Post by Hermionestwin »

Yea so am i :)
She's fine every now and then she wont hold my finger completly with the sore foot, but is obviously still a lil sore
333greenbean333

good to hear =D
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))