Noise

Moderator: Mods

effekt

Noise

Post by effekt »

I am curious about the noise level of IRPs? I know they have a fairly loud call, which I find to be very pleasant sounding.

One of the people at the bird store who has one says they tend to either call a lot or speak a lot.

I read on one site that they are not recommended for apartments. I live in an apartment so I'm concerned about this.

I know that if I work with my IRP and keep her busy, she'll squawk less, if she does turn out to be a squawker.

In everyone's opinion, do you think they can be apartment birds? Or not recommended?
smallworld

Re: Noise

Post by smallworld »

We have our IRN in our apartment. Its not a problem at all. Yes they do scream and do loud calling but its at specific times of the day and not all the time. I think it also depends on how understanding your neighbours are. Everyone here has some pet or rather, the most have dogs so nobody ever complains. I found that unlike our other birds, our IRN got used to his surroundings relatively fast and once he did, the loud calls stopped. The only time he ever does one or two loud calls now, is when we take his food bowl and he knows yummy is on its way. Then I get a whole bunch of noises and a few loud calls in between if it takes me too long to wash his bowl and fill it up :D

We did have a problem when we first got him, with early morning screaming at around 6 or 7 am. We solved it by temporarily covering his cage with a large blanket. He doesnt like the blanket at all for some reason. After about 2 weeks, we decided to stop covering him and he just stopped screaming. There's the soft noises he makes, when he wants to know where you are. He does it when he doesnt hear me getting up to make coffee or something. I just call out and say 'comiiing!' and he gets quiet. But after a few mins if I'm not there, then he calls out again. Its funny because he is the only bird we've had that stops calling us when we say 'coming!'. He does scream quite a few times when we're going out the door. He knows that when we tell them 'bye' or 'see you later' it means we're not going to be home for awhile. It never bothered our neighbours and he usually stops after 2 mins.

I think it also depends on the number of IRNs you want to keep. 1 or 2 would be OK i'd say. So in my opinion, I'd say they can be apartment birds.
effekt

Post by effekt »

Great! This is very reassuring. People in my apartment are very tolerant; there are many have dogs and cats and there's a fairly loud cockatoo in one of the apartments that I hear from time to time.

IRPs have such a beautiful call in my opinion, and I live in a corner apartment so I don't anticipate any problems. The first question I asked in the bird shop was their noise level, and the guy I talked to, who also has an IRP said it wouldn't be a problem, so I was confident in making my choice, but I've worried about this off and on and it is good to get input from other IRP owners.

Your response puts my fears to rest, thank you!
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

No problem :)

If they have dogs and another loud cockatoo, I wouldnt worry about it at all ;)
Lags

Post by Lags »

I live in an apartment and have two IRN. They are noisy, but not too bad. No complaints from the neighbours.
effekt

Post by effekt »

Lags wrote:I live in an apartment and have two IRN. They are noisy, but not too bad. No complaints from the neighbours.
Good to hear :)

I had a green cheek conure before and in my mind they are noisier than IRNs. And I think IRNs have a really beautiful call especially compared to conures.