I think my ringneck is about to lay an egg

Moderator: Mods

korn_bo2

I think my ringneck is about to lay an egg

Post by korn_bo2 »

I have a pair of normal green ringneck... I saw them mate a lot of times.. and the female is always in the nestbox.. and also they sleep inside the nestbox already... i read it takes 4 weeks before the females lays an egg.. what should i take into consideration now? Should i give extra food or wat??? hehe.. tnx to all... and also the person where i got the bird told me that my bird is split for lutino.. so meaning i will be having lutino birds? hehe.. tnx...

Post by Guest »

With my IRN I noticed her vent gets bigger and when she goes restroom it comes out in a large amount and with little effort, almost like that of a pigeon.

As for the split lutino, lutino is a sex linked gene. It is possible for a male to be split lutino, but it is impossible for a female to be split lutino, she is either lutino or she is not.
Jodie

split lutino

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
I saw my ringnecks mate and she laid an egg the next day. The norm for my birds were one egg every day. After she laid the fourth egg it was 23 days til they hatched. You count the days from when the last egg was laid. Sometime this is hard, but just wait for the noise coming from the nestbox! Your birds may lay less or more eggs. Each hen is different.
According to a genetic chart I have you will get 25% green split lutino males, 25% green males, 25% green hens and 25% lutino hens. So if you do get a lutino baby, it will be a female. But the majority of your babies will be green.
Hope this helps!
korn_bo2

Re: split lutino

Post by korn_bo2 »

tnx so much jodie... hope she lays an egg soon...

Jodie wrote:Hi,
I saw my ringnecks mate and she laid an egg the next day. The norm for my birds were one egg every day. After she laid the fourth egg it was 23 days til they hatched. You count the days from when the last egg was laid. Sometime this is hard, but just wait for the noise coming from the nestbox! Your birds may lay less or more eggs. Each hen is different.
According to a genetic chart I have you will get 25% green split lutino males, 25% green males, 25% green hens and 25% lutino hens. So if you do get a lutino baby, it will be a female. But the majority of your babies will be green.
Hope this helps!
maxiandjoey

Post by maxiandjoey »

How's your IRN now? Do they have babies? I am curious because I have a pair too. But I don't know if she already layed eggs, I afraid to mess around with them they might abandoned the nest.( if they do have eggs).