Hello from the UK

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Kray Twins

Hello from the UK

Post by Kray Twins »

Hi I'm Lee and I've had two IRNs for around 3 weeks now. They previously belonged to my mum who had rescued them from someone who couldn't cope with them. My mum is a little bit of a Doctor Doolittle so took them under her wing but then herself couldn't give them the attention they needed as she already has an Amazon, a Border Collie and my younger sister...

So Ronnie and Reggie (The Kray Twins) came to live with me. They're approximately 10-12 months old, starting to chat away and imitate a wolf whistle, could have swore that Reggie said hello the other week but it was probably that I wanted to hear it in his whistle. When they first arrived we had a bit of a settling in period and Ronnie decided that bluffing with me would be the best way to get on in his new house. Luckily I had a week off and found this forum (using my phone as our broadband wasn't connected!) and worked through it, so much so that I think we've surpassed the bluffing stage with Ronnie.

Ronnie came to me the other morning and did his little dance and pinning move while clucking in my face, so I think we're going to get along fine. Reggie on the other hand is going to take a little more work. When he first came to me he was very timid and rarely stepped up onto anyone let alone my mum who had worked with him, within an hour we had him stepping up and comfortable on my shoulder but he's still a little apprehensive and enjoys a really good squawk when he's on top of his cage. He's definitely the more vocal of the two but they both take in turns screaming when I'm any more than 2 feet away! My only issue at the minute is the squawking, any tips on combating that with your welcomes would be appreciated, I am however off to use the search facility to have a look for myself. Ideas for keeping the guys occupied when I'm busy cooking or just trying to relax would also be welcomed!

They're big fans of eating anything that I've put together for them alongside our meal in the morning or evening. However they definitely have a soft spot for popcorn and jointly some sweet potato that has been cubed and boiled.

Apologies for the long post and lack of pictures at the moment, this website/forum has been a godsend over the past couple of weeks so I thought I'd register and introduce the 3 of us. Pictures to follow soon.

Thanks

Lee
pinkdevil

Re: Hello from the UK

Post by pinkdevil »

Welcome Lee.

Sure sounds like you have make alot of progress with Ronnie and Reggie, well done.
Ringneck newbi

Post by Ringneck newbi »

Hello and welcome to the forums! Great info on IRNS!
Kray Twins

Post by Kray Twins »

Finally got some pictures, they're not the best but a new camera is on the list of presents for the new year so will have some decent pictures soon.

As I'm typing this Ronnie is sat on my fingers bouncing with the key presses so excuse any random letters that may appear.

This is Ronnie protecting my cup of tea - from me! He liked it after a taste and then wouldn't let me have a drop afterwards!
Ronnie being danced at, however they both dance, pin and regurgitate food...will get a DNA kit in January.
Ronnie in the sunlight (Winter outside, very rare in Britain!)
While hoovering Ronnie likes to go and have a good dunk in his water bowl. Reggie nearly always follows just afterwards.

We're getting on fine now, the only issue I have is the squawking for attention that Reggie is still insisting on doing.

Happy New Year everyone.
bec

Post by bec »

hi lee the squarking when ever your away from them sounds like contact calling
it can be very hard to cope with but at the same time very simple (well in theory any way)
to combat
firstly if the squark loudly when your out of sight NEVER rush back to sho them your ok
that just teaches them yelling gets you back i just used a very calm voice & say something to them
(as i said before its a contact call ) so i reply with "im making a cuppa " or a wolf whistle
to combat the squarking while you in the room if the sqark turn you back on them .....wait till they are quite then turn to face them & give them a treat (popcorns is wonderful for training)
and if one is sqwarking but the other is quiet or just talking in an "inside voice give the quieter one a treat and say something like "good boy regies being quiet" the are extremely intelligent & very easy to get them to assosiate a word with the way they are behaving (especialy when traing involves food)
i have one that seems to think he is a gaurd dog!! he announces visitors with his very special car alarm immitations :lol: with lots of very patient visitors & lots of popcorn all i have to say now is "thankyou kieron" he settles down with a sort of well ive done my job now whats in the food bowl i can give myself as a reward for a job well done look
Ninja

Post by Ninja »

what gorgeous birds!!!

Ninja is a bit of a screamer also so I will try this tip too, thanks!
Kray Twins

Post by Kray Twins »

Thank you very much Bec, will start trying that straight away. I'm not a fan of negative reinforcement and have strayed away from covering them over or hiding them in a room upstairs, hopefully this will keep my partner happy as some progress may be found.

Many Thanks and Happy New Year!