Fertility Questions

Moderator: Mods

Coastal-Birds

Fertility Questions

Post by Coastal-Birds »

I know i have psoted this before but i cant find my post.
But can anyone explain why proven birds this season all seem to be having infertile eggs????.
Yet again i have thrown out more eggs.
Does anyone know if certian foods or excess of certain foods can do this.
The only thing the birds all have had this year is a calcium supplement called Calcivet.
I know alot how use this and they dont seem to have had any problems so im thinking this is not the cause.
But something has made alot infertile for unknown reasons.
Any help here is appreciated.
smick

Re: Fertility Questions

Post by smick »

I too had a proven pair this time have infertile eggs, she is laying again so i hope this time good. i also had a young pr with infertile eggs as well. I don't think its diet because everbody's feeding regime would be different. Is it possible the thunderstorms we have been having causing it.But saying this my gouldian finchs and scarlet chested parrots have all produced young, as well as my canary's. My lutino easterns haven't even laid yet, and they are usually a very reliable pr.Is it the dramatic temp changes puting them out of wack?.
Coastal-Birds

Post by Coastal-Birds »

Hi
This is what i am thinking it is temperature.
As most of mine started in winter and not many of those pairs have been good.
Others have had 1 or 2 good eggs and the rest no good.
Today i noticed another pair is just starting to lay so will see what happens there.
Also alot of pairs havnt even worked there boxes or showed interest in mating,im hoping they start soon.If not then that is it for the season and nothing from them.
Another friend close to me has had not many young also and his birds are now moulting and he is only 10km away and yet none of mine have showed moulting yet .
I wish i could find out if cold weather can make birds infertile but this question is left open as no one seems to think so.
Cheers
Fah

Post by Fah »

There has been a spate of thunderstorms around Australia, and you only need to combine the birds being spooked out of their nest for just a couple of hours on a really cold night to kill the eggs.

Could be a reason.
Chienderace

Post by Chienderace »

I would agree with Fah, in that they may be early dead rather than infertile, particularly if they were laid in the winter or early spring.A couple of hours in cold weather would be enough to kill the germ. I had a similar problem and when the eggs were broken out, the embryos were started but had died.
Ron