Is Yakult okay for birds?

Moderator: Mods

Jade

Is Yakult okay for birds?

Post by Jade »

Chooky loves to open my little bottle of Yakult fermented drink every morning. He loves the tin foil top and he loves to dip his beak in and have a couple of mouthfuls.

I noticed in the pet shop that they sell that lacto bacillus powder and as Yakult contains that lacto bacillus stuff too....

I was just wondering.
Melika

Post by Melika »

lacto bacillus is a beneficial bacteria for your intestines- helps keep the candida (bad stuff) population down.

I had to look up yakult, lol.

In moderation, it should be fine. It's healthy but be careful about how much your bird gets, as it is a dairy product.

The probiotics are excellent though. So a little is fine. ^^

Trust me, lol, systemic candida is something I know way too much about. :lol:
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Jade

Post by Jade »

Thanks Melika. I was freaking out this morning because he stole the bottle and I had to do something for my son and forgot about it until about 10 minutes later. By that stage, he had the whole top off it and had spilled it all over the window ledge and was going hell for leather lapping up as much as he could get down his little piggy throat. I've been watching him like a hawk all morning and he seems fine (phew).
Melika

Post by Melika »

Just a note for anyone who wants to add lacto bacillus (or any probiotic) to their bird's diet:

At first you will notice a stool change (this goes for humans, dogs, you name it). Usually loose stools and then some constipation. After a week or two though, the stool usually returns to normal.

See, when you're adding the probiotic, it begins to kill of candida which at first is slow (loose stool) then it begins to die off in larger numbers (constipation). Eventually it balances out fairly well if you continue taking the probiotic.

But this is if you're bird is new on it, lol. And depends how much probiotic one is taking. ^^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Jade

Post by Jade »

Thank heavens we only get a 25ml bottle! You wouldn't want to OD would you?

Chook was perfectly fine after his gutsing of the Yakult. I think he has a caste iron stomach though! Little bugger that he is :roll:
Melika

Post by Melika »

He was used to it anyway. ^^