HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderator: Mods

jeninoz

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by jeninoz »

Like "Grumpy Ringneck" has previously posted (but hasnt had any replies), my ringneck BITES and BITES HARD. I have read that you should just ignore the bites but these are bites I cannot ignore...they draw BLOOD.
"Buddy" is allowed out of her cage for an hour or two each day but she has taken to flying onto me (and my partner) and just start biting us for no reason - on the NECK, on the arm. It's a matter of having to defend yourself (and NO, I would never hit her) but you have to put your arm up to stop the biting. We CANNOT have her flying onto us and biting.
It's getting to the stage that I just wont be able to let her out.
I'm not quite sure how old she is but I've had her since around January. Could someone PLEASE help.
Faith is a bird that senses the dawn yet sings while it still dark.
Donna

Post by Donna »

I would try a wing trim, this sometimes takes some of ther independence away

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
leo

Post by leo »

i think you have been indirectly telling the bird that you are afraid of her and her bite will intimidate you...
there fore she keeps doing that to gain dominance among others(the humans)

donna is right, clip the wing for taming can be a good idea

anyway, hi donna, how are you doing? long time never hear from you :P :P :P :D
Donna

Post by Donna »

Hi Leo good to see you again :D

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
ian1

Post by ian1 »

Hi,

Although there are people more experienced than me on here, I recently read up heavily on bluffing and I'll try to offer you something.

It's very possible if your bird was very young in Jan that it fits the development timescale for 'bluffing'.

If so you are being bitten by a bird acting perfectly normally. For me it lasted 5 weeks for a hand reared bird (long story...).

I panicked at first, the bird was simultanously my best friend and then biting me (almost attacking). The best thing I ever did was spend hours reading biting/bluffing guides and so I only petted/distracted him as though the biting wasn't happening. Ringnecks have sharp beaks, save a thought for the owners of birds with crushing beaks.

It ended overnight.

Don't:

Reduce your contact with the bird. Some suggest that bluffing is part of leaving the nest...you don't want your bird to 'reject' you and suceed. I have a naughty IRN and she's a nightmare.

Let the bird anywhere near your face during this period and keep him away from friends you want to keep.

When the bird bites have a sacrificial piece of hand ready. I used my first two fingers, bent at the second knuckle to create a V shape, he bit for the middle and I gently followed his beak neutralising the 'Chomp' until I ad put him somewhere else.

Never forget your bird is genetically programmed to bite under some circumstances.

Good luck, if there's anything wrong wit the above the pros will let you know.

Apologies where I have missed a 'H', Oodie ripped te key out when I was distracted :S
jeninoz

Post by jeninoz »

Thanks a lot for your responses.

Ummm...my bird is one of the ones you were talking about with the sharp beak and yes, i AM scared of her because when she bites she bruises and draws blood.

How can I clip her wing when she will bite the **** out of me????

I havent been able to let her out of the cage again and really want to.

I think clipping the wing is a good idea because also, when she comes out for a "fly" she is flying up to my window ledges and eating them!! (they're wood).

I still pet her and talk with her all the time.

Like someone here mentioned, I am her best friend. She loves me I know but I can be petting her one second and in the blink of an eye she swings round and BITES ME BAD :wink:
bec

Post by bec »

if you are worried about clipping the wings get your avian vet to do it for you
jeninoz

Post by jeninoz »

I'm in a little seaside village - we dont have any avian vets nearby, in fact I've never heard of an avian vet here DownUnder.
bec

Post by bec »

the local vet should be able to recommend on e close by
thats how i found mine
jennamarie

Post by jennamarie »

my bird is exacltly the same and i no how you feel, i am sometimes affraid of my bird. to be honest i feel i have given up and just let her be this way. one minute she can be really nice and then next she'l turn around and bite me. i find she is like this more at her cage so she is very terratorial. the only time she'l let me touch her is if she no's i'm putting her on her cage and i mite get one stroke!! so dont feel like ur alone i'm up for any advise too :)
My Bird is my Best Friend !!
Archie - Blue IRN
DOB - 22/02/09
jeninoz

Post by jeninoz »

Thanks JenMarie...I was starting to worry I was the only one.

There comes a time where you just have to say, my safety is more important than letting the bird out of her cage.

I DO love her but I wouldnt put up with a dog biting me and others and I now have a wound on my arm that's becoming infected from her biting me for no APPARENT reason.

I'll keep trying and listening to the advice I'm given tho.
inept

Post by inept »

I turned my bird's love of flesh into a game of sorts. I gave him a target in the form of my thumb and forefinger and when he bit I would neutralize the bite by grabbing his beak and saying "beep!" Now he doesn't bite. Instead, I grab his beak and he beeps. I did the same for face bites by transforming them into kisses.

Give it a try. No unsupervised shoulder time. Make the contact on your terms and it might work out OK with some training.