Unsuccessful, but positive signs....

Moderator: Mods

TD

Unsuccessful, but positive signs....

Post by TD »

I checked the 3 eggs my pair had today and they were all infertile.
I had an idea that this was the case because I only introduced the male in Feb, and it took them an eternity for them to show any signs of bonding.

Both birds are mature, so age is not the issue. I didn't see them mate because everytime she courted him with her clucking, he flew off thinking he was going to get beaten up! (she was pretty mean to him for quite a while early on!)

But today was a very interesting day. After I took the eggs & nestboxes away, they started acting like they had been bonded forever! She was crouching & clucking, he was doing the heart shaped thing with his wings, they were feeding each other etc the amount of love being shown was incredible! Her being in the box for a few weeks might have triggered this love explosion.

Now I'm not sure what to do, should I wait a week and put the box back in?

I still feel it could be early enough, particularly being 50kms south of Melbourne, and there may be a small window for success. Hope so anyway!
Last edited by TD on Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lewi111

Post by lewi111 »

Sure in my opinion why not? You have nothing to lose an maybe a few chics to gain.Good luck :!: :!:
julie

Post by julie »

taking the eggs away may have been the trigger for them to be courting/mating again. I would wait a day or so and put the box back in.
TD

Post by TD »

Yeah I think I will do that Julie.

Appreciate your help guys! Bring on round 2!
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

good luck :!:
TD

Post by TD »

Ok, I busted them mating today woot woot!!
Finally the fella got his instruction book out and read it, and she is being very nice to him, & they're feeding & preening each other, showing a lot of love. She has also been spending a lot of time in the box.

So it could be 2nd time lucky!!

Good to hear of everyone elses success so far as well.

Tim.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

lol maybe he just had to treat her right first before she would "reward" him lol

Good luck for second time round. :)
TD

Post by TD »

Yeah tell me about it!!

Another interesting thing that I forgot to mention.
Earlier that day, I walked out the front door only to be confronted by a pair of Spur Winged Plover’s mating on next doors roof!! I should’ve taken that as a sign.
A very interesting courtship ritual I might add….. and potentially dangerous if disturbed!
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

thats great! i hope you get eggs and babies
Razsringnecks

Post by Razsringnecks »

best of luck TD.....maybe 1 was out of sink...this can happen anyway...she may go down again for you.....fingers crossed...best of best of luck.... :P