cage litter

Moderator: Mods

floridamedgirl

cage litter

Post by floridamedgirl »

Just wanted to tell you all that I started using my kitty litter (corn cob with baking soda.. found at walmart) in the bottom of the bird cage and it works awesome!! It even has this fresh baking soda smell that is very mild. It looks very clean.

It clumps verrrry well into little sandballs when poop or even fruit from his bowl hits it and it is very easy to maintain!

What are you all using to line the bottom of the cage? I just cant stand the look of the paper with pooop all over it, it looks so dirty even with one or two messes on it... not to mention you have to take it all out to clean it... where as the litter you can just scoop it 8)
"Wally" IRN Male DOH 3/8/09
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

I use regular News Paper, its cheap, i get more
then 100 pages..lols.
CalamariBaby

Post by CalamariBaby »

good idea with the litter. I will try that eventually. Right now we have lots of magazines to use. But I agree the littler would help and even a little bit of poop looks gross and can be stinky.
Allie
julie

Post by julie »

is it safe for birds to digest?
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Hey guys, i heard that using newspaper
eliminates disease's such as MITES!
floridamedgirl

Post by floridamedgirl »

I only use it on the bottom of the cage (not the playtop).

The litter cannot be reached by the fid as there is a grate separating them for about 4". I assume it would be 'edible' as it is corn cob or whatever, but the one I buy is 'arm and hammer' brand and I wouldnt want him eating that!! Its only for the area he cant reach, I still put paper on the playtop as he comes in direct contact with the pan up there.

Jess
skittles

newspaper

Post by skittles »

I line Skittles' cage with lots of newspaper, when the bottom gets messy, I just fold up one sheet, and throw it away, there are still more sheets on the bottom! ( I usually just have to line cage once a week or so...unless she is REALLY messy!)
Skittles and her mommy
floridamedgirl

Post by floridamedgirl »

i also saw on drs foster and smith a bunch of paper you can buy and just remove the top sheet ... then there is still clean paper under, kind of like what skittles does. They make it in the sizes to fit common cages. I might get that for the play top because I HATE when his playtop paper gets funky :shock:
skittles

well, it doesn't always work!

Post by skittles »

Well... stacking paper WAS working, however, it is not the right size for her cage, so I have to fold it some. Now Skittles gets down there and plays in it, and folds it all up! She goes through 4-5 sheets a day sometimes!
Skittles and her mommy