Behavior and previous owner

Moderator: Mods

dduncan

Behavior and previous owner

Post by dduncan »

I am quite taken with my new friend (IRN) Jasper, but since he was previously owned I am not sure if he will ever completely trust me. He gets very close to me, but I have had him since Easter and it seems like he still has a lot of fear in him. He was two years old in February. He talks a lot, but is scared of people coming to visit. I am the only one he will come to. He used to go to my husband, but as we got closer he stopped letting my husband get near him. I am keeping his wings clipped to hopefully make him tamer.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Diane
bec

Post by bec »

dont give up hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i got kieron from a lady who had had him for years in april last year
last week he stood on a food bowl in my hand for the first time
& the next day stood on my head!!!
julie

Post by julie »

get your hubby to start giving him special treats, you may need to not give him special things for a couple of days though. Indie wouldn't come to me for a little while, i couldn't work out why and then i caught Aaron sneaking him special treats and sucking up to him. I have noticed all of mine including the aviary birds respond better to the person that feeds them the most.
dduncan

behavior and previous owner

Post by dduncan »

Thank you Julie, I appreciate all the help I can get. My husband has tried to feed him things, but he just sits and screeches, or crawls down the back of his cage. He was fine with him when I first got him, but since he has his wing feathers back and can fly, he seems more afraid of people.
Dee
We will keep trying!!
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Hi dduncan, so he used to be tame wen his wings
were clipped, you should clip them & start over.
This time you should spend lots & lots of time with
your bird. Good luck 8)