Help! Lola eats Plaster!

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

Help! Lola eats Plaster!

Post by Lauren »

Do not let them eat your walls and ceilings. Ive had to replaster the wall vents and architraves (i think thats what their called) around the ceilings and cover them with sheets of paper and anything I can find so Lola cant get to them. Shes got an obsession with PLASTER. Its terrified me as Im always turning my back and catching her with a beak full of PLASTER.
She doesnt seem interested in chewing anything but PLASTER. :cry:
Ive given her chew toy after chew toy with no luck.
Anyone have ideas on how to stop this?
The wall vents are a new obsession. Anyone with an older house knows what they look like.. she rips them clean off the wall.

Pic taken 2 years ago..
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Perhaps the increase in this behaviour lately is because shes 'looking' for a nest?
I might also mention, Im hoping to breed her with a new man next year in an avary as shes not really pet friendly unless its shower time with me!
Ive thought of clipping her again. But would this be wise if shes going to be a breeder next year? Shes a real handful lately. But I still love her to bits. :wink:
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Laura, If that wall still looks the same from few
years ago, Then you should not let them in there
unless you repair the room. I wouldn't trust that
because my father builds house's & he always
rips down walls at our house to build new things.
So that kinda stuff looks harmful to me.. :?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh no, that was in our old house 2 years ago. Just wanted to show what she has done in the past. :wink: We fixed that up. Just now its the wall vents in this house she loves to destroy as she can land on them. So I covered them with paper so there is no way she can grab onto them. Ill try and get a pick of the vents.
Oh I know its harmful. I do try my best to not let her get to it. When she does Ive tried to put her in time out (cagetime) But as soon as you let her out again or turn your back. Shes back at it. :x
She just seems to 'fixed' of this lately. Im going to try give her back her nestbox as its almost breeding season. See if that works.

I also dont want Jibby picking up on this habit. Hes starting to pick up on a few of her bad habits lately.. and hes never been a problem for me. Hes been tame and easy to handle for the 8 and half years of his life. lol.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Well, You have more experience with birds
then me, But what i would do is if you are
going to keep her as a pet, Then trim her
wings for now. If you decide to rid of her
then don't cut them unless you'll rid of her
to an aviary wen her wings grow back, Just
common sense.. :wink:

So yea, Give it one more shot! Trim her wings
tomorrow to re bond? :lol:
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:D Thanx Marine. I still have no given up on her and certainly dont want to 'rid of her', just think shed be happier as a breeder, Im the only human she feels comfortable around, she steps up to me and showertime with me seems to be her 'bonding time' with me lol. Even though shes a real monster, shes still got my heart. :wink:

Ive been doing alot of training with her lately. (With sultana treat rewards). So Im still trying. She actually steps up more often than Jibby, the stubborn old man LOL.
They both have had more time in their cages lately due to the sale of this house. Sometimes for a full day. Which has been a change for them.

If she doesnt take to her nestbox right away (which she most likely will) I will clip her just for now to handle her easier as my birds fly freely around the house and clipping would be a shock to them I reckon. Jibbys had free flight most of his life (clipped when under 2 years, and once last year because Lola chomped his foot, couldnt perch), and has never been out of control. Lola thinks she owns the world! Very dominating. haha.

Funny enough, as much as shes a dominating monster, shes never really bitten me.. (only when I clipped her wings once). Shes all puffed head and pin, but never a bite. :shock:
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Maybe you could get her a little muzzle.... what can I say, Gelly & my Lola are chewing through the studs on their aviary! ROFL
MCS
julie

Post by julie »

i was looking for something else and come across this really old thread, thought it may help. http://www.indianringneck.com/board/vie ... ght=#10448
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Vaseline huh. :D