A little worried

Moderator: Mods

Rosemary

A little worried

Post by Rosemary »

My IRN Bobby is approx. 12 weeks old. We fed him with formula for a while after we got him, then he gradually did not want it. I am worried that he is not eating enough. Each morning I give him a variety of vege's and fruit, eg. grapes, strawberry, cherries, apple, pear. He loves sweet corn on the cob, but he only seems to nibble at each of them, never finishes them off. He also has his seed, and a millet branch on the side of his cage. He seems happy enough, loves his time out in the evenings, gives me plenty of love and kisses. Maybe I am being a bit premature, being so young yet I might be expecting him to eat more.
I can feel the sharp bone on his tummy, but he seems very settled.
Am I worrying for nothing??? What else do other people feed their IRN's.
Thanks, Rosemary
Jodie

diet

Post by Jodie »

Sounds to me that you are doing just fine! I think you are just worried that he is not completely weaned, but if he is eating regular foods and seed, he is weaned. IRN's will eat almost anything. Stay away from chocolate, avacado, lettuce and caffiene drinks. From the list of treats you listed, you are doing well giving him a good diet. Hope this helps!
Rosemary

Post by Rosemary »

Thank you very much for your support, he is a very happy little bird, today I gave him a crust off my pizza, (just a little low fat cheese on it), he loved it.
While I think of it, I live in New Zealand and I often see (lol) written, just what does that mean??
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Rosemary

Your Ringneck is right of schedule when it comes to weaning. Just continue to offer hand feeding formula until your Ringneck totally rejects any formula.

Ringnecks usually cut back on feedings to lighten up for flying. As long as he is eating or playing with his food I would not worry too much.

When it comes to weaning, Ringnecks are not pigs and it’s very difficult to tell if Ringnecks are completely weaned. Just continue what you’re doing! Nice job!

I.C.
:wink:
doremon

Meaning of lol

Post by doremon »

Hi Rosemary,

I think it means Laughing Out Loud.

Regards
Doremon
Rosemary

Post by Rosemary »

Thank you so much for your reply, that makes me feel better about it, I will continue with the formula until he refuses it completely. This morning he has Melon, strawberries, apple and pea pods, and of course his seeds.
:D Rosemary
carrie

Post by carrie »

Hi all - I was just wondering how much formula they should be eating and how often. My 14 week old was fine on fruit & nuts etc for the first few days I got him, then starting begging, so has been having formula as well on the advice of the pet shop. Just not sure if he is getting enough though. He has become so sooky as well - for the first few days he was very outgoing but now has gone into his shell - is this normal behaviour?