should i clip my birds wings?

Moderator: Mods

bagman

should i clip my birds wings?

Post by bagman »

hey guys i wa wonderin wetrher i should clip me birds wings.... i am really torn because i feel like i am taking a privelage away from him but on the otha hand we are outside a lot and if he flew off he would b in big trouble cause we right in the middle of butcha bird territory (is how me first bird died :cry: ) anyways what do you guys think? should i clip his wings or dont clip them an jus keep him inside?
there is no limit to the love i have for my bird xD
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

There isn't really a right or wrong answer any of us can give you. Some say yes, clip, and some are very against it. That's just their opinion and I'm sure they have good reasons for deciding yes or no. You pick whichever you think is right based on your individual bird and situation.

My ringy's wings are clipped right now, since that's how he came from the pet store. I'm gonna let them grow out then do a partial clip so he can fly some (but not a lot) and work on recall training with him. Then when he gets really good at recalling, I'll let his wings grow out completely and leave them like that. I wouldn't have a flighted bird around that's not at least some what recall trained. That's begging for trouble, in my opinion.

Is your guy tame? If he isn't, clipping can be a great step towards taming your bird. He may be mad at first, but he'll get over it. He'll start seeing you as his main mode of transportation. Also, an untame bird that flies out a window is gone forever with little or no chance of recapture. With a tame bird that flies away, you have some chance of being able to catch this bird and bring him back home.

Again, what I just told you here is also my opinion on clipping vs. no clipping in general. I don't know what your situation is or how tame your bird is or anything like that.
bagman

Post by bagman »

aaahh ive made me avatar to bug :oops: srry how do i fix it?
there is no limit to the love i have for my bird xD
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

bagman wrote:aaahh ive made me avatar to bug :oops: srry how do i fix it?

Hi there, you need to resize your avatar by using a picture editing program you might have on your computer. I believe you can do it in the 'paint' program. You can also use photoshop if you have it. For a guide to how small it needs to be, right click on someone elses avatar, then see 'properties', and see their image dimentions. Then change your pics size. It just has to be small enough to not throw the whole threads over, as you can see.
Then you can upload it to your photobucket etc, then into the avatar space in your profile.

Hope it makes sense. This is just how I did it.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Now to answer your question.. its really up to you whether you clip or not. :wink: Everyone has a different opinion here. Maybe try looking at the pros and cons of both? Maybe you could try clipping and then once the feathers grow back letting him fly for a while. See which one is best.
I had my 2 clipped for the first year or 2, to make taming easier, but they are now free to fly around the house. :wink: We have our times when they are difficult to manage or get back in the cage. But most of the time, they know the drill. :roll:
Just take caution when opening doors and cooking in the kitchen etc. Not that you should already do this if clipped. But they can be quick lil monsters. lol.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Janet

To clip or not to clip

Post by Janet »

Hi,

I had the same dilemma. When I got my birds their wings had been badly clipped. After their feathers grew back in and they began flying and their flight became more graceful, they seemed really happy. However, I was then faced with a battle of wills every time they had to go back into their cage. They would simply fly away.

I took them to my avian vet who agreed to clip their wings. He did a wonderful job. They can glide around and can even travel some distance (e.g., from the dining table to the coffee table in the lounge room). They can still get a little bit of lift (e.g., from the floor to the coffee table). They still seem happy and we no longer have arguments when I have to go to work!

I could not stand it if something happened to them that was within my control to fix. I worried about them flying into the windows or near the heater. I would have been devastated if they had flow away outside. We have lots of eagles and hawks around and they would not last long in the wild.

I am quite happy with the situation as it is and my birds are still fit and healthy - both physically and psychologically.
threio

Post by threio »

I originally had Threio's wings clipped, but now they have grown back. Threio is flying all over the place which apeears to be enjoyable and I am thinking about NOT re-clipping.

However, two days ago Threio land on the range/stove which has me a bit concerned.

Threio still seems to be responsive to Step-Up and Down so I probably will just let the flights to REALLY no-where continue.

That being said, if UR baby is un-responsive to training especially Step-Up I would get the wings clipped. U need a way to retrive UR baby if they get in a precarious place in UR home.