Talking, your option.

Moderator: Mods

Hestia

Talking, your option.

Post by Hestia »

I am curious if anyone has noticed on whether the males seem to talk more then females do?
Just wondering if maybe the males tend to be better at talking verses the females, if you know what I mean.
I know that not all birds talk, and I don't expect mine to talk, but I was just wondering if anyone has noticed this or not? Seems like most the IRN's I see on youtube that talk are male.
your option would mean a lot to me.
thanks
Heather
julie

Post by julie »

I have at least one female aviary bird that talks, so I wouldn't just say males.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

One of the chicks I handraised last year is a hen and she says quite a few words, whistles and "makes up" her own tunes at times putting together a few whistles in random order in one hit. Kinda cute when heard :)

She talks so much that she has taught the young Rainbow Lorikeet I raised that is kept in a cage next to the IRNs, to talk now. He whistles like the ringie and is begining to say "what r u doing?" like the IRN.

Also have a female Eccie that has about a 40 word vocab. Says alot of stuff in Italian as the previous owner was an Italian :)

So I think the girls can chat just as much as the boys if given half the chance.

Well, we like to talk to don't we girls?! :wink: :wink:
Fah

Post by Fah »

Well, here is the thing... people think that the males are the main singers in regards to parrots, as they do the singing / attracting in the wild.

Almost all male and female parrots in the same species have the same capacity for talk and vocal ability.

I have several IRN hens that talk more than my males in the aviary, and one will go toe to toe in a chit chat with one of my males.

There are species of bird where there are solid differences between male and female capacity, however I do not know of any in the parrot pet trade world that are anything like that.

Females get a bad wrap for several reasons...

1) male traditionally has a more interesting feature of appearance
2) male are more vocal in the wild, therefore assumed (wrongly) that they are better talkers
3) they have the instinct to nest, and go broody if you allow this behaviour in pet birds
4) their hormonal situation means they can take a little more work than a male to figure out

In the IRN world, there is no difference between the two vocally.

Just like people, a birds capacity to talk has several factors... its environment, its intelligence, its mental state and its teaching throughout its life.

You get birds who seem to pick up words so easy its amazing, but its just like a gifted child.

From one clutch a friend has two young they kept, both taught the same way, one has a vocab of over 70 words, the other lucky to get 10 out of it. So just because you are a good trainer, does not mean you will always see results.
Hestia

Post by Hestia »

Thank you all for your reply. I kind of figured I was going out on a limb by asking. I was just curious, but glad to hear that I have been proven wrong. So my Indie doesn't talk, thats alright with me, she talks to me in her own language which is totally fine. I can usually tell what she is trying to say to me.
I am wondering though... quite a while back she would look in a mirror that I have and cluck at herself and say what sounded like pretty bird, but she hasn't done that since. Do you think she just lost interest in learning words and decided to just stick to her own birdie sounds? would that be a reason for a bird to almost start talking and then stop and not do it anymore?
thanks
Heather
Fah

Post by Fah »

I have a gorgeous male lutino (my first pet) who really has no interest in human words.

If you start clicking a new way, or making bird noises etc within a week or so he is doing them as well. If you have a different bird around, very soon he starts to mimic that birds sounds.

He really just doesnt care for human words one way or the other. Like humans they have their own opinion as to what is good and what isnt... and im guessing my guy just doesnt find speaking "human" is any fun lol

You dont learn anything by sitting back and waiting for someone to bring it up, so im glad you did, im sure this thread will help others in time to come to answer their own questions.
greeny

Post by greeny »

The newest addition to my family is 8 mos old right now, female. She is learning to talk already. She practices plenty when she is in her cage and I have heard her saying a variety of words. I am very pleased that she is trying to talk so early.

I don't think females have any trouble talking.