balance problem???

Moderator: Mods

SDAnimalKing

balance problem???

Post by SDAnimalKing »

Ok, so my IRN is 4 months old and when he sits on my finger he seems to fall backwards or start to lose his balance alot... once he starts to fall he flapps his wings and brings himself forward... he does it a lot... he also is extremely scared to be put down on flat surfaces or on items that are a little to big for his feet to wrap around... example if he walks from your finger to the back of your hand, he freaks out and starts flapping and jumping around untill he gets back on something like your finger... what is weird is he doesn't do this at all in his cage with any of his perches... is he just dumb and clumsy? or is this normal since he is still pretty young...
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

I have a 4-5 month old ringneck also. He tends to do that sometimes when standing on me, but he is very well balanced in his cage. It is odd. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with Sky. It is true that young birds are kinda clumsy. Sky falls sometimes just walking around Sky doesn't like flat surfaces either. He tends to slip and trip and stuff. I don't think what your bird is doing is unusual, it's just to be expect of goofy babies. XD
SDAnimalKing

Post by SDAnimalKing »

I hope Misfit grows out of this...
nil

Post by nil »

do your irn stands and move stable on his perches?
Do you see any paralysis symptoms at his feet, are his feet straight?
Do he eats well?
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

SDAnimalKing wrote:I hope Misfit grows out of this...

I think he will, as I believe this to be a baby thing all birds go through. Take him to a vet and see what they say. They'll tell you for sure what your bird's wobbliness means.
SDAnimalKing

Post by SDAnimalKing »

Ok inside the cage and on his new play gym he has no problems with balance...

He eats pretty well and drinks good too... Feet seem to be ok with no problems...

I took him to the vet on monday and the vet said he's in perfect health... he ran tests and everything as an overall health checkup...
Jim

Post by Jim »

It's been my experience that young IRN's can be pretty clumsy. Nothing to worry about.

Also, did your bird get it's nails trimmed at the vet? That can make them a little unsteady until they get used to their shorter nails.

Jim
October is National Tagline Awareness Month
SDAnimalKing

Post by SDAnimalKing »

no... no nail trim
Fah

Post by Fah »

I could say about 25% of my young are like drunkards till the age of 3-5 months...

I have one little critter that is a ratbag who just cant seem to sit still, can move around perfectly, just sitting on the perch he is far from steady..

He is perfectly healthy, very clean blood lines and bred from impecible stock. He is 6 months old now and still crazy unsteady... crazy little thing.

I would not worry yourself too much :D
nil

Post by nil »

everything looks ok
you have a healthy baby :)