its over

Moderator: Mods

Raja's_mom

Post by Raja's_mom »

I'm ao hAPPY THAT TANGO found her way back to you the last time I was here and you saw her but she left with the flock of wild Irn's I just had such a feeling that she new you where there for her and when you left she fallowed you. You are her true flock so why would she stay with the other flock if you weren't going too. I'm so glad that she is healing you are a very good Parront to you bird Give her some time to get over all that has kappened to her and she will be your loving pet again in no time. This is a wonderful story for others to read when they lose there birds. It gives everybody a little help to never give up There is always a way as long as you don't quit Iám so very happy that this story has a happy ending and don't give up on her because I feel certain that she will be back to her normal loving self very soon I hope My IRN is as smart as Tango she out smarted those crows and got away from the wild flock that attacked her and even found a way to come home to you wow thats a very very smart little bird you have there.
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

:D Hi Leo, It is good to hear from you about Tango and that she is doing better. About the night frights, she will sleep better and stop haveing the night frights, but it will take time, becouse she has a good memory and it will take time for her to feel safe about going to sleep. But just keep doing what you are doing, be there for her and give her lots of attention and love and little treats.
About the talking. When Luna started talking again, it sounded like it did when she first started talking, just a lot of garbel at first. Then she figured it all out again. But she didn't want us to hear her talk until she got better . So the talking will take some time to get back like it was. But she is working on it. :lol:
So glad that Tango is getting better. Mabey Tango picked up on the screaming from the wild IRNs, I think they do that for contact calls.
Darlene
leo

urgent

Post by leo »

thanks alot guys...
i need your help now, urgent......

hi...tango just pick up a anew hobby...

chewing her feather... :cry:

the new grown feather that last time injured and regrow was destroyed again...i saw the new feather on the base of the cage with a bit of blood at the tip of it( im sure she forced pluged it)
she is now proceeding to the trimmed wing feather as the new fether is plucked off...the trimmed featehr almost just left with the feather bone...

she also develope into screamer.....
from 5.30 in the mornign to 8 at night(if the light is off) non-stop.....
no more cahtering...the whole day just ear piercing squaking...

sometime my land lord cant take it and put her into the toilet and off the light, she will scream even louder.......

last time when he do something bad, i will said stop it and she will, now, she will look at me into the eyes and give me the worse 1...
she also bite everybody she sees, incuding me...anybody wolk pass the cage, she will lounge and make the "arrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound...

i should say the legs has almost perfecly recover....

she sound taally evil rigth?
is is what she is becoming within few days...

my most concern anyway, is the feather plucking(no mites)
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
leo

Post by leo »

guys, you gotta help me soon...
or
last nite my land lord want me to throw tango away or changer bird, they say"she is too noisy,i cant take the it,...got to wake up at 5.30 everyday" this time, i really cant blame them, but i will make sure she stay....

in the morning, 6 am. 1 neighbour come and knock the door for complain and said will call the authority to handle this issue, the, short while later 2 more from downstair do the same...

all i said is i will dosomething about it...but i don't know what to do now...

guys, please help......................................................thanks alot
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

I am sorry to hear about the problem with Tango screaming. and plucking her feathers. Usually the rescue places that takes in parrots that have behavior problems, finds that it is diet or a health problem that is makeing them feel bad. And the parrots that come into the rescue places with behavior problems have been victims of abuse. And are traumatized. It takes a lot of patients and care and giveing them time to recover from there bad treatment or neglect.
In Tangos case she was in the wild and was attacked and went through a bad experience the whole time she was gone. Birds get emotional problems very easy when they have been traumatized. Tango was beaten and battered when she got back and even if her leg is healing, her emotional problems are there.
Also Tango was in the wild and it might have brought out an instinct to go wild. So her screams could be contact calls. Mabey if she had anouther bird in a cage next to her for a companion, but not to put them togather, it might settle her down so she is more content.
I wish If it were possable, I would offer to give Tango a good home, if you aren't able any longer to keep her. She is a beautiful IRN and is smart. I hope things works out for you.
leo

Post by leo »

thanks alot darlene, the rescue place i worked in suggested collar, we all along used collar as the plucker we had so far is big species...

i dont think collar for tango is best solution, may be im going to try the anty feather pluging spray... i can get from the place im working in...but it so far dont work at all...

after i read your post, i try give tango a mirror, just a min ago...
she jump and thrash around...so i took the mirror away

now, she is quiet, but standing high in the position of defence...

i dono what to do with him now...
really giving me a headache

darlene, about the magnecitc theraphy, i will chek the price for you and send the picture after my exam passed...
thanks
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Hi Leo,
After reading your post about Tango plucking and screaming behavior, I wouldn't go with the collar either. It really isn't the answer to what is wrong. You have to find out what is wrong and make adjustments and treat the problem. It seems that the plucking and screaming came up after Tango returned from being in the wild. It always helps to understand your bird and try to think and feel like she does.
I have learned from research on Indian Ringnecks species, and from haveing Luna who has taught us a lot about instincts and behavior traits, that the IRN will go wild easily. They are independant by nature and don't need large flocks as do some other species of parrots. But they will suffer from lonelyness if they are an only bird. Becouse they still do have a need for a flock to belong to. Tango was raised as a domestic human raised parrot. She knew nothing about the wild until she excaped. Then her experience was not good. You are her human flock. But Tango may feel displaced in her human environment now that she has had a taste of the wild which she has instincts for. Now you need to heal her and treat her for her emotional needs. I know what the rescue santuaries do to rehabilitate parrots for adoption. Most of the time, they start by retameing the parrot again to human touch and voice and reduceing there stress level. Keeping there environment clean and comfortable and low noise and activities around them to start. You can get Tango used to your touch and voice again. If she is your only bird, you will need to spend extra time with her just being near her to comfort her. Then retrain her to allow being handled and held useing a day time routine with her so she knows what time of day to expect this interaction and will look foreward to the attention.
Give her things to shred and chew. Females like to make nesting materials. If this time of year is the breeding season where you are, Tango may settle down more after breeding season passes. There are some bird medications to help calm them, or natural herbal treatments that are calming to your parrot.
So I think Tango can and may return to normal again, but you may have to start over with tameing and training. Putting her in a dark room only upsets her more and is doing more harm.
Also, Move her cage away from the window so she can't see outside.
It may be helpful to consider getting another companion bird to be in a cage next to her when you are away, so she won't have to be alone for hours at a time.
I hope you don't think I am being too helpful. I just want to help you work out the problem so Tango and you can be happy again.
There are web sites here for the magnetic matresses. I am learning more on this.
Darlene :)
leo

Post by leo »

thanks alot darlene...

i try to atay neah her, she just lounge and scream even harder when i was near...
really really loud...
i tried give her the sunflower seeds, she refuse to do the old easy trick she had mastered before(she is did it 1st 2 days she arive back here)

neither me want to put him into the toilet, but thats beyond my control, having neigbour complain, strenthen my landlord decision to put him in to the toilet

now, she is the type that like she know what the human don lke and she will surely and purposely do it...

still chewing ......the moment i hear no noice, mean she is chewing...
about the chewing, the anti feather spray does not work at all.........
i will try to spray it with aloe solution
leo

Post by leo »

hmm, or is it that she feel itchy or soehow irritated on the new grown feather that she pluck, then as it is irritate her, make her moody which lead to biting and creaming?
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Yes, it is very possable that Tango is feeling uncomfortable with pulling damaged feathers and new feathers growing in can be sore. Luna gets cranky when she molts and looses old feathers. She will find them and help pull the old feather. Then she growels when we touch her where the new feather is comming through, becouse it is sore. And I use the aloe to treat the sore spots. It helps to sooth the sore or uncomfortable spot.
You will need to try anything you can to find out what her problem is that is makeing her aggressive and grumpy.
I think it would'nt hurt her if you put a small towel over her to pick her up with and just pick her up and hold her until she stops protesting and lets you hold her for a while. Luna has learned to enjoy the cuddling time. She likes us to hold her while she goes to sleep and has a little nap. Even if Tango freaks for a while, she will stop and settle down if you just stroke her on her head. You will start to see her getting sleepy and relaxing. And just talk softly to her.
Tango may still be in ( fight mode ) and the cuddling time will help retrain her to be handled and learn to trust you again. And that time of cuddling will help to sooth her nerves. And she will learn to trust you again and feel safe when you are holding her and stroking her on her head and back of her neck. Parrots like that.
I have learned from breeders and rescue places and other soarces, that it is a common problem with parrots to suffer from toxic reactions to things they were exposed to. You don't know what Tango has been exposed to or in contact with. But after some parrots with a severe plucking and screaming problem has been detoxed, they immediatly feel and act better and in general just improve. It is recommended to give your pet parrot a detoxifying formula about two times a year. And there is an aloe vera detox formula that removes toxins from the liver and blood. I mix aloe juice in Lunas water. And some breeders give the aloe leaf to there parrots. Luna wouldn't eat it, so I put the aloe in a hand feeding formula and hand feed to her. And she never has a health problem.
There are differant things to consider to find the problem and treat it. But one thing that will help is to spend time retameing her to be handled and be near her every minute that you can. I believe Tango will get better. It will just take some extra attention and trying differant things until you find what she responds to.
Think possitive :wink:
leo

Post by leo »

she still going mad, even she had consumed the alovera juice and i bath her with alovera....

like getting worse everyday...
become super evil bird............
i want my old tango :( :cry:
leo

Post by leo »

this morning i was thinking...
if you want to forget fomething, you have to keep yourself busy...
tango migh not be able to forget her trauma for 1 sec, thats why she is making a fuss from the sec she wake up...

she also ignore all the toys, she only busy screaming whole day...

i came across with this idea..
i took a tooth brush cap, then put a big sun flower seed inside(so it won't come out from the hole...

then i give it to him...

she spent the whole morning till now plaing and cracking her brain to open it...
today is peacefull quiet morning...

then i took her out and she play the cap on my table while i m studying now...
hope after this, she will remeber more of her happy time here...instead of the tregedy
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Hello Leo,
It is good news that Tango is beginning to play and try to solve problem games. This entertains her and makes her tired enough to rest instead of screaming.
Here is a recent upgrade information on parrots. Parrots have been moved into the top listing for intelegance of animal species. Parrots are now listed with apes, elephants and dolfins in intelegance.
So it means that your parrot needs mental stimulation as much as you can give her, or she can suffer from boredom and depression. So to keep her challenged for active toys, foreaging toys, climbing toys and problem solveing toys. You may have found one answer to Tangos problem in makeing her a foreging toy. Female IRNs like to shred paper and other safe materials. IRNs are little chewers and need clean non toxic wood to chew.
Also, if Tango comes out of her cage and is free to run around the house and play and be active, she will learn to be content again.
Parrots are sensitive and it takes them longer to learn to trust again and to get back to normal after they have been traumatized. They can have bad dreams and live in fear during there wakeing hours. It isn't a physical wound, but still an emotional wound that takes longer to heal.
When the tragic accident happened to Luna with the drawer falling on her, it is now 18 monthes ago, if we carry a box into the room that looks like the drawer, Luna freaks. She is afraid of anything that looks like that drawer. So we make sure she does not see us carry things into the room where she is. And we give Luna a lot of love and fun things to do.
So it is a good sign that Tango is turning her attention to playing with toys you make for her.
How old is Tango? Does she step up on your finger after she got back home? Or will you need to teach that to her again?
Good luck and stay patient and keep working with her. She will get back to Tango again. :)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Another thing I was just thinking that maybe Tango is screaming, maybe she can hear the other IRNs calls and is answering them as she has spent time with them and has formed a slight bond. Just a thought. :)

It is great news that Tango has been quiet for you today. :) Good on you for trying to help her and solve her screaming problem and not just give up on her. Sounds like she really took a liking to the hiding seed treat.
Very ingenious of you Leo to think of something as simple as that! :)

Well done!!! :D
Aldeleen

Hi leo

Post by Aldeleen »

OH Leo-- i read this post and i cried-- sat here at my desk and i cried!

I felt your pain and distress when you came home and Tango was gone-- My Pi-ko did the same thing and escaped through a open window whilst i was at work! IT WAS TERRIBLE! But i found him-- or rather someone found him-- I MADE POSTERS AND PUT UP A REWARD!!

But my second birdy -Lily- flew away about 2months ago and its still haunts me to this day... she was not tame though and there was not much i could do-- i made posters and searched for her but i never found her back.. SHAME MY POOR LILY BABY!

Im delited that tango returned home
, you are very lucky!

I want to say that i praise your determination with Tango, with thinking and figuring out ways to get her get over her trauma! GOOD FOR YOU! you are taking good care of her!!! WELL DONE!!

I am 100% sure that Tango will return to her calm and loving self soon!! Keep working with her and play all the time-- make fun things for her!!!

Keep us posted LEO!!!

Greets
Aldeleen and Pi-ko
leo

Post by leo »

thanks guys, today tango went through her day well and tired...
she took hours figuring out to open the cap, but she is smart enough to eat the s.flower seed without opening the thing...she just use the tip of the beak to reach the seed and slowly crushed it, so it can come out from the hole...

then after that, i gave her again, she took less than 2 min to eat the treat..
that was about almost 6pm...

after that, she just sit on the side of my study table and preen her self quietly and yawn...
so i put her in early...

she did not bite or being agrasive, was much like the old tango today...hope tommorow will be better...

How old is Tango? Does she step up on your finger after she got back home? Or will you need to teach that to her again?

she is about 11-12 month...she step up and still did all the trick she knew, but become crazy after about 3 days of return, ithink because of the infection on the leg

maybe she can hear the other IRNs calls and is answering them

may be,but i think not, coz her screaming was like relly terrorizing, really to the top and the she was so agresive...

Im delited that tango returned home
, you are very lucky!

yup, im supper lucky, i was almost almost give up, tell myself, hanging my big face on the wall was like totally emberessing and make me look like an self obsesed freak, but that was the last card i can play, and i won...hehe...

thanks for all the suport...
i hope tango will be better tommorow and the feather chew thing, hopefully got better too
Melika

Post by Melika »

Wow, I've missed a lot. I'm so happy you got Tango back! What a ride. :shock: How scary and frustrating. I'm glad you and Tango are working through this together. And that she's returning a little bit to her normal self, you willing to help her. :D
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
leo

Post by leo »

the update for today:

yesterday is btter than yesterday...
but today she is doing pretty well too...

she do scream abit, but she dont find the tooth brush cap game interesting animore as she know the trick...

but she is much calmer than previous day...
sometime she is so calm and in the next second, she become crazy and lounch at me...

got bitten nastily abit today...

the feather chewing, yes, she still doing it...
im lost of what to do...
thansk
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Hi Leo
about the feather pulling. Is Tango makeing bare spots on her from the feather biteing? Or is she trying to pull the damaged feathers she had when she came home? I'm thinking if she has no bare spots from plucking herself, then she may just be trying to remove damaged feathers that are bothering her. Some may be blood feathers and some mature feathers that were damaged. Mabey she knows instinctively what she is doing, but if it doesn't stop after she has replaced the damaged feathers, then there has to be anouther reason she has started that behavior.
It sounds like Tango is being more like a typical little female IRN. They can be aggressive and bite sometimes. And concidering her age she may be getting closer to adult age and may have some typical female behaviors. It can be about dominance. There are good ways to train your parrot not to bite.
You can research the biteing behavior and what is the most typical cause and how to train your parrot out of the biteing, screaming and plucking problems. Now is when you may have some training to do becouse she is in a pre adult or adolecent stage.
Hope this helps.
The parrot training says they will bite to show dominance or to get attention. If you react when she bites and yell OWW! Or say Stop IT! You are giveing her reinforcement for her biteing and she will do it again becouse she likes the attention and reaction she is getting from you. So no matter how it hurts or how angry you get, you shouldn't show it on your face or voice. Just go away and come back later and try again. until Tango learns that biteing will only make you go away and she won't get what she wants. :lol: LOL! I know it is hard to keep from reacting to a painful bratty little bite. You have to go against your natural reaction to it.
When Luna was about Tangos age, we never knew when she was going to lunge & bite. But she did grow out of it with some training.
leo

Post by leo »

darlene, you promised want to post luna pic...hehe...we are waiting...

hmm, tango bite is followed by histeryc fright, she can preen her self and sudenly jump off of fright, if you are near her, he will get frighten out of no reason and attack out of fear...

tango quieq sensitive toward the word"no biting"...she was trained to stop biting(most cases is chewing) when i said that...
that word som how shooting her feeling...
at times(before the escape) she got too excited with the play and pinned and got crazy, when i said "hey, no biting, okay" (i did it in very friendly tone) she will be relex...

after the the escape, this did not work except for the 1st 3 day of return and these last 2 day before i post this...

unless, she got frighten and bite, which is too fast for me to see, she still manageble...

for the screaming, i really cant help, my land lord use to shout at her when she creams, so, kind of serve them right...but the screaming is much lesser since the last 2 days...

feather chewing, she already pluged the newly grown feather, but she is chewing the trimmed wing feather...
not sure why, kind of worried that she will continue to the upper wing and then body...

i was thinking to trimmes away the chewed trimmed feahter...
i mean like the trimmed feather actually quiet long(thats why she can fly back) and maybe i should shorten it at least shoten it to the damage level...

any suggesstion?

thanks alot
Oliver and Justin

Post by Oliver and Justin »

Leo,

When tango settles down i would trim her wings anyway. So that way she cant fly, so she doesnt escape again. That would be the smartest thing to do.
-Justin
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Leo,
I have uploaded Lunas pics to photobucket, but when I try to send pics to this forum they don't show. Now Lunas pics are flying around out there in cyber space. I feel so stupid :? I must be trying to make it harder then it is. They say we humans only use 10% of our brain capacity. In my case it must be like einstein. he couldn't do simple math. :lol: I will have to get someone here with me who can tell me what I am doing wrong. I have tried two times and nothing is happening. So while I am trying to find a web site that sells brains, I can order more and see if it will help me figure this out. :P Here I am telling you to have patients with Tango, and I am looseing patients with posting a pic of Luna. :lol: :twisted:

Tango might get over whatever she is going through that is makeing her pull her feathers and scream or bite. But there are differant conditions that cause parrots to have this behavior. I will try to find web sites for you to get expert information and help.

Mabey Tango just needs more time to recover from the trauma. But you will need to try to be sure she is not haveing a physical problem of some kind like a deficientcy or diet problem. Is Tango on a mostly seed diet? or is she eating a good quality pellet food?
leo

Post by leo »

for postingthe pic, i thin just upload it to photobucket.com and paste the image code here...

hmm
tango eat pellet, 80% is pellet, 19% is fruit and vegie and human food, 1% seed(the pellet that crushed into almost powder is not eaten, so i mixk it with seed to make her eat it, don want to waste it, ex, hehe)

i just rung to the pet store...to ask about the chewing problem, he say some bird will chew the wing feaher as they are going in to moulting cos they feel unconfortable and want to plug the feather in order to let the new 1 grow, so, as he is unable to plug it, he end up destroyiung it...the bone of the big wing feathers especially trimmed 1 in being crushed...

he said it is normal when the bird is about 1 year old,tango is abt there too...

he said some of the bird there is also like that, but will be okay when the new featehr come out...

tango haven lose any of her wing feather yet, not even 1 so far i remeber...

i was initially considering of shorten the clipped feahter, but since the shop keeper said that, i get back to here to ask...

does any of the 1 year old went through the same as tango?

thanks alot and shoud i clipped the wing shorter?

(the shop keeper is the place where i bougth tango, he was nice and make sure i can feed the baby, and teach me everything before i went with tango, he also leave his number for 24/7 assistance...)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hey Leo :)

It would depend on how short Tangos' wings are clipped.

Here is a site that shows the right way to clip wings.

Hope it helps :)
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

:D Hi Leo,
From what you say of Tangos diet, I don't think it could be her diet that is makeing her pull feathers. And if there are no bare spots on her breast or elsewhere, then it does not sound like what is described as a cronic feather plucking habit or problem. If we consider that Tango was attacked and had feather damage when she made it back home and also going through a obsticle coarse trying to fly, her wings were probably bruised. So besides haveing broken feathers, the bruiseing could have caused some damage to the new feathers forming. If I were Tango I would be cranky too. I hope she is just pulling out the bad feathers.
When luna has old feathers ready to molt, she will groom and even pull the old ones out. And she gets a little grumpy. So if Tango is only pulling the wing feathers it may be that she knows the ones that are not growing in right. They do have an instinct for knowing what they need to do.
Crows have straight pointed beaks. They peck instead of biteing like parrots. Tango was very lucky to make it back, with your help in looking and calling to her. But she was probably a lot more bruised then you could see.
If Tango was never a feather plucker before, then I feel that she won't continue this feather pulling after she gets all new feathers in on her wings. The screaming and the biteing may stop or get better after the feather problem gets better.
will keep working with posting pics. I might just do it by accident :lol:
leo

Post by leo »

pink,yup, it is how tango was trimmed last time, now the feather has grown long(same lengthe as the pripary feather) that he can fly back...

is it posible that the pointed end of the trimed feather actually irritated her(poking her body maybe)

so, whta should i do ?
let it be or trimmed it?

darlene, i think you are right, she mighthave lots more bruises that what i can see, and that miht cause her being sick after coming back...
till now, i don't know how she escape the crows...

i found IRN bone sand left over rather often here, thats what made me upset when i lost tango...

i hope what the shop keeper said is right....and the chewing feather problem just temporary and cause by molting
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Leo,
I wander how many of those crows have bites and wounds from Tango?? :lol:
leo

Post by leo »

i gues it is about 20 over crows, the bite i found was the the wing and the legs...
not sure about other parts...but got alot of feahter got pluged i guess, when she returned, she regrow quiet alot of feahter
leo

Post by leo »

last nite tango start biting again like the mad period...

this morning, 6 am, she scream like mad.....
i gave her the tooth brush cap with sunflower seed inside...whe solve it in les than a min and scream again...

i cant think of anything to give her...
i spent a little lesser time on her these few day, as i got to go school and study for my exam, exam on the run........
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Hi Leo
this is a forageing toy I make for Luna....You take a favorite treat that Tango likes, Luna likes nuts. Let Tango see you drop the treat into a paper cup. Then roll the paper cup up with the nut inside. Then drop the paper cup into a paper bag and twist up the ends tight. Then put this inside a small box. and give it to Tango for her to work on. You can hang some forageing toys up so Tango has to climb and try to solve the problem of how to get to it and then open it if she gets to it. :)
If Tango likes to sit on your work desk while you are working, this means she likes to be near you and keep you company. You can use a peacock feather for a preening toy for Tango.
Just a few little suggestions that might help change her mind when she screams or is being bratty. :)
leo

Post by leo »

thanks for the idea darlene, i will try to make 1...

hmm, tango biting behaviour is worst when she is on top of his cage, is it territorial problem?
how do i deal with it...?

i got him another box like the tooth brush cup to play, but don have the hole, so the only way she can get the treat is to open it...

but she is really agrasive when she is on top of her cage...

what should i do?

thk
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

It sounds like it is a territorial thing. If Tango is not as aggressive in other places and more on top of her cage, then she is claiming the top of her cage as her space. Like you claim your favorite chair as your space. She is growing out of her baby ways and is claiming some of her envirnment as hers. In a way, it is a good sign that Tango is feeling more confident with her surroundings and I don't think it is a bad thing to let her have her space as long as she doen't try to take over too much. :lol: If she gets too bossy and wants to run you out of your space, then you will have to set limitations.
Luna saw me in the kitchen. So she wanted the kitchen as her space. So she used to do the lunge & bite thing to my toes to run me out of the kitchen. :lol: So when she did that, I put her up in her cage where she could watch me, but had to stay in her cage while I was in ( her ) kitchen. And she figured it out and was content to sit in her playstand and watch or supervise me and talk to me.
leo

Post by leo »

darlene, luna can walk ?

tango is getting fiercer, even she is less noisy...
i still have the feeling she is male, the head is really flat and big...

she showing male dance too certain people,but clucking female behaviour to some people...

should i doubt the dna test result...
it is free 1, may be lousy and innacurate 1 or something like that?
haha...
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Hi Leo,
Luna isn't walking yet, but is standing up alone now. Just started doing it, but isn't takeing steps yet. Her feet have to get stronger. She is healed and healthy and happy, just not walking yet. But is still makeing progress.
When I said Luna was chaseing me out of the kitchen, I meant when she was Tangos age.
If Tango is female, you will see her put her head back and put her chest out and cluck, when she is getting her head stroked or when she is affectionate or content. It is the cute little female body language. And the females are more fiesty and fierce then the males. It takes more tameing and handling, but they do become just as good of a companion as the males. We have learned, the more you get her used to being touched and handled, the better pet she will be
We have to handle Luna a lot since she was injured. But it has made her into a sweet and trusting pet. No more biteing and bad behaviors are not there any more. She is just a pleasure and an awsome little pet. But I am sure it is from getting her used to being handled more. Luna used to bite like you say Tango does.
If you think Tango may be a male and don't trust the DNA test. It will take several more monthes to tell, or until the next molt, you would see a ring growing in. Luna is female, but definatly has a ring, it is a light color. Some females do show a ring, just not black like males.
leo

Post by leo »

yup, i dont believe the dna at all...

in the bird mart, there is an ad finding a +-1 year old dna cert female irn, lutino and blue, ready to buy at price of 600 $...for breading purposes

i was like wow, that mroe than double the price of tango...

he offer me cash and instant deal...of coz i told him not for sale...

today tango did something cute...i was taking a nap when she was in my room, then i feel asleep too soundly that i forgot he was there.....
she sneaked in to my blanket and fall asleep there too...

i woke up finding a feathery stuff on my neck...she was slleping there, pearching on the coolar,,,

she woke up, streach and yawn...
i was like, what a funny felle
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

:D OH! How cute! Tango understood that you were sleeping, so she wanted to take her nap too. But where she chose to take her nap was sweet and cute. Even when she has her bratty days, she is your baby. :D
You had an offer to sell Tango, but you don't just sell a family member or your best freind. Tango is a beautiful IRN, male or female. She proved her intellagance and that she wants to be with you, when she made it back home. That makes her very special. :)
leo

Post by leo »

today she bite my ear... :cry:
she was okay and i was reading newspaper, so i let her on the shoulder, she bite my ear...so sad...

about the sexual behaviour, she cluck but instead of tilt the head up, she tilt the head down like when they are doing male dance, but the wing never open...then the claw lifted up to the face and screathing the face, and kuk kuk kuk...

when somebody with dark colour skin came, she will do the female till the body get so low...

there is an issue today...
i was reading the mail, then she was runnign about on the floor, i notice she was like asking me to play catching and wrestling we used to play
it rather a rough game, like a chase her untill i cought her, she can run anywhere, under the table, sofa or anywhere she can run...after i cougth her, i will grab her and wrestle her around...

so, today she like come to my leg(she is on the floor) the tab me leg with her beak then run, look at me, tab again, run again, for a few time...
yup

so i think she is asking to play her favourite game...then we play...there is a few half broken tail feather and i accidentally push it,(not pulled) puch in to the bone...so little bit only...
she scream like arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, then bite hard...
i trid to calm her by hugging her...it works...i speak to her softly, after she calm abit, i put her on a chair, and wen to get whole meal bread and eat it,,,she was chasing after me,(another game)...then she forget about the accident......

from this accident, it hink she has come to trust me again and about the bithing and screaming, i think it has become a bad behaviour or just bluffing....

i just mail the organisation to ask weather can do retest for me...
i told them she was escaped but found her way back...
then i ask her can reconfirm she is the same tango they tested before...

but im pretty sure, tango has 1 inborn bold spot on her head....
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Leo,
If Tango is wanting to play the same games that she used to play with you, then she remembers the game. So I think she or he is the same Tango. Also if Tango made it back home to her cage, she had to be the same Tango, to remember her cage as a safe place to go. If she were not Tango, she wouldn't know about her cage. And she wouldn't have followed your voice when you were out calling and looking for her. And also remembering the favorite game. And even favorite foods.
I think it would be good to try to have her DNA done over or re checked just to be sure if she is male or female if possable. But it sounds like Tango is your same Tango and not anouther lutino.
Question: what did you mean when you said Tango has one inborn bold spot on her head??
And when she bit your ear, before Luna was injured and she would ride around on my shoulder, she would sometimes bite. I have read that to let your parrot ride or pearch on your shoulder gives them status of being the dominant one. Sometimes they may bite. Luna would bite my finger when I would try to get her to step up on my finger to take her off my shoulder. So I had to take her to her playstand where she would step off onto a pearch.
and yes, the biteing and screaming can become a bad habbit, but there are training information on the web about how to stop the screaming and biteing without harming your parrot. There is some training web sites like
www.birdtricks.com that are famouse for there success in training parrots out of bad behaviors. Tango is just going through a pre adult stage and testing out what will work and what won't. :)
leo

Post by leo »

tango has a bold patch on the head...since ever she was a baby...the bold was jus not growing any feather, like the cocatiel bold petch under their creast...but not that big and obvious,...it really obvious when she was molting..

i ve check with afew breader about the behaviour of chewwing off the trimmed wing, they said it is quiet normal for some individual to begun molting process...

some said these birds are believed to be smarter and fast in understanding stuff, as they know if they regrow the new feather, they will be able to fly...

then i told the breader, they are not smert enough to know that human will trim it again...hahaha....

but, no matter wat it is, i just hope that it is just molting and nothing to do with behaviour problem....

i let her sit on the shoulder becoz i never have problem bringing her down, so i tried again...but even she had bitten me, she still willing to go down.....
she is getting back to herself....
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Hi Leo,
From the pics of Tango that I have seen, the little bald spot on her head doesn't show. And mabey it will disapear all togather when she has anouther heavy molt. Is it molting season there where you live? The molting season here was the monthes from about April through June. Luna had a good molt this year and changed out most of her feathers. I still see a feather here or there even now. But they are the feathers that the vet trimmed the last visit, She grooms her feathers and seems to know the ones that are old and she will pull them becouse they are loose and she can probably feel the new one comming in. I think they loose some feathers year around, but just not like when they are molting.
:lol: yes, that was funny, you said Tango is trying to get her flight feathers to grow in faster, only to get them trimmed again. ha, ha. I have read a lot of sad stories about people letting there parrot fly around and not trimming the feathers. Only to have them fly out a door or window, or into a ceiling fan or landing on a hot stove and other bad things. So it is just keeping them safer and easier to catch to trim there feathers. For there safety. Tango is a beautiful lutino. That bright buttercup yellow with red beak is like a little jewel. :)
leo

Post by leo »

ya, they are so precious...

im moving house soon...finding the new house to rent now...
i feel uneasy everytime seeing her in the toilet...
now, she don bother if she is in the toilet, she still make alot of noise if she want to...

this morning she said something like tangoooo, what you doing?
but really mumbly, really mumbly,..
she really lazy in practicing talking, how long will she take to clarify the speaking?
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

HEY ! Leo, That is great news, that you are moveing to a new house so little Tango won't have to be put in the toilet. She will be happier and you will have more control over Tango. If you don't want her to spend the day in the dark room, you will have more control over who comes in and does things in your house and to Tango.
Tango is just starting to talk and say something new. It will sound mumbly for a while untill she practices more. It sounds like she is trying to say a sentance and not just one word. So if you repeat what she is saying slowly and clearly when she says it, she will learn to say it more clear. And I put Luna in her basket and bring her with me to other rooms of the house and she sits up and talks to me. So I repeat things to her and she learns to say them more clear. Luna says, ( peek a boo ) and a lot of other sentances.
What is cute and funny sometimes is, Luna will go hide and when I miss her, I will say, " where's Luna??" and she gives herself away when I hear a little voice under the chair say " there you are ." :lol:
They will take there time to practice talking even when they are by thereself. And it is a sign your IRN is happy or content when you hear them talk.
leo

Post by leo »

luna is so cute...haha...
tango is still in the bratty mode...i really hope it if bluffing and nothing to do with the accident...

he got paranoid when something went above her cage and bite really hard...when in changeing the food, he bite me hard that it bleed...usually before i change the food and water, i will sroke her from the head to the tail for a few time, she does not let me do it and lounge when my hand go above her head.....

until i persued her with some treat if she dont lounge then she get calmer...

last nite(now i really have littel time with her as im starting a new project) she was in my room, complain so loudly and when i tell her to stop, she made it louder and louder, so i return him to the cage...

aboout the featehr chewing, she really chew alot of the wing feather...

darlene, can help me check at your pet store or vet weather tango case is posible of molting syndrome? but tanngo does not look like molting...no feather dropping around...she pratcically chew the feather bone away...

i ask some pet store, they say it is molting as she is about 1 year, some ask me to buy expensive spray solution that i never find usefull, some ask me to get her the collar whic i find it cruel...

i lost of what to do, i think your side there got more genuine people and experts than my place, they really give me the impression they are just pushing a sale...

hope you can help me...

thanks alot
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Hi Leo,
I am researching info on the feather chewing. So far, I am getting several reasons for the feather chewing, some are scarey to read about, but It doesn't sound like that is Tangos problem. So far I have learned, there are differant types of mites that can cause feather chewing and feather distruction. The mites are microscopic and even can get under the skin. So it takes a vet who has the equipment to rule out wheather Tangos problem is from a form of mite. They do a skin biopsey and look at it under a microscope.
To find the answer to the feather pulling and chewing, you will need to investigate several possable causes and rule them out until you have found what is probably the cause. One thing is stress. In Tangos case, she has had some stress. Then if there has been any changes in her routine or envirnment that is upsetting to her. And also it can be from harmonal changes around nesting season.
Does the bird store there have any sprays for treating mites,? just so you can try to rule that out as a possable cause. Tango was around wild birds and exposed to things she doesn't live with in your house.
Also giveing her bathes with a bath spray that helps skin and feather dryness and to ease itchyness.
Tangos screaming and complaining is a sign that she is not comfortable and something is bothering her. She is trying to tell you and get your attention. It could be anything from a skin and feather irritation, to stress caused from harmonal changes to something in her daily schedule or routine that she is haveing problems dealing with.
You will want to try to find the cause of the feather chewing, before it becomes a distructive habbit.
Is Tango causeing any bleeding from the feather chewing?
The biteing could be harmonal changes also. So researching and learning all you can and then ruling out every issue untill you find what works andit may take time and patients. But in the future you will know if it is a temporary thing she is going through or if she needs some medication or suppliments in her diet.
I will keep trying and try to find links you can go to for information and help.
leo

Post by leo »

whe tango arive, i have disinsect her with mite solution for 3 times a week for 2 weeks...

all the feather are the old 1, for the previous molting, she did not lose any wing feather...

all the chewing is done on the midle of the feather, so, from outsie it look fine as the destroyed part cover by the covert...

when i look from inside, it is all chewed...

the local pet store and some breeder said it is cuased by the molting,...

i hope that way, but to be honest, that the 1st time i heard about it

thanks alot darlene
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Leo,
about the feather chewing, some other causes of the feather pulling and chewing are, environment. like cigaret smoke, room sprays, scented candles, perfume or chemicals such as in household cleaners. If Tango is around any of these, it can cause skin and feather and resperatory problems. If she is in a chemical free envirnment, you can rule out that as a possable cause.
When Luna pulls old feathers that are ready to come out, she will often pull on them from close to the skin while she is preening. So mabey Tango is doing the same thing. And you said you have started a new project and have'nt spent as much time with her. She could be screaming or biteing becouse she is a little upset with you.
But she can get grumpy if she is molting and it will pass. :)
leo

Post by leo »

darlene, im moving house, i hate that **** hole that bully tango when im away home and even in the home...it make me feel so useless to unable to protect my own friend....

i read some article said that the 1 couse might be lack of fat in the food...that make the oil production low and the feather dry, so the bird will feel irritated...tango has very low fat in the diet food...
im increasing the seed in the diet and try to find aloevera...(out of stock fro sometimes already)

tango is in chem free environtment...
i make alot of toy to distract her as well like the like cartoon boxes with food inside...1 day 1 box with diffrent colours...
and also sun flower seed that is wraped in a paper and ash her to chew the paper till she get the food in it...
i really hope it will work well...

thanks alot darlene......
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Hi Leo,
I am so glad you are moveing to a place of your own, for baby Tango. From what you are saying, it sounds like her biggest problem is, she is an unhappy little one. And her screaming is from being so mad and upset. ...Hey Leo ! is there any chance that you could lock that person in the toilet to let them see how it feels?? :twisted:
I am giveing you this web site, for information on feather chewing and plucking. They have very good information on problems and nutrition defitiencies. The web site is; www.allbirdproducts.com They have natural organic suppliments for parrots. You can order the products from them. They said one common reason for feather chewing is a calcium defitiency. I ordered three things from them for Luna. Luna is a picky eater, so I am sure she may need the calcium product. She won't chew on a cuddle bone or other calcium rich things. I also ordered the herb salad for Luna, becouse it is all natural green self medicating herbs that birds need for a strong immune system and good general health. If you go into this web site you can gather a lot of helpful information. I also ordered the product, feather-up. It helps promote healthy feathers.
When you move it can be a little upsetting for Tango in a new place, but she will adjust after a while and will like it better there, becouse I'm sure it will be more peaceful for her.
leo

Post by leo »

thanks darlene...

this is tango condition...
whne she is bathing
notice the featehr that is stilllook nice, actually they are about to fall to as the base part has also been chewed

i email breeders they said it is not true that molting bird will chew the feather...

im increasing the amount of fats in his diet too...thnaks alot darlene...

i willpost the pic at the pic section too...
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Hi Leo,
I can see what you are saying about Tangos feathers from the pics When I said Luna will pull on feathers that are ready to come out during a molt, they are old feathers and new ones come in right behind it. But Lunas feather don't look like Tangos, they are the whole feather, not chewed.
I have read a lot about the feather plucking and chewing and there are many causes. The web site I sent to you has more information on the feather chewing, that makes sense. And some products that are natural organic dietary suppliments for deficientcies. Such as calcium. They say when they have given birds with a feather chewing problem the calcium in there food, that the problem improves. But the pics looks like this feather chewing damage done by Tango is clearly not normal and that she does have a problem.
Mabey after you move where Tango can be happier, and you add some things to her diet, that have been known to correct a feather chewing problem, this will get better.
If the breeder and vet haven't been much help, then you will have to learn all you can about this problem and try differant things that may get this under control.
I ordered the calcium suppliment for Luna, becouse she will not chew on the mineral blocks or cuddle bone and I don't think it hurts to provide her with some extra nutrition some times. You want to try to get this stopped before it becomes a cronic habbit. But there is a reason Tango is doing this and you just have to find what helps correct it. :?