Keeping Rainbow Lorikeets

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Briony

Keeping Rainbow Lorikeets

Post by Briony »

Hey guys
i know a few on here have loris as pets and it looks like this weekend if not the next ill be bringing home a rainbow lori thats an unwanted pet.

i know they eat necter and fruit and they have really runny poos hahah but what i want to know is how big of a cage i should have for it, how easyly can they be tamed and will it get along with the ringnecks being that they are around the same size.

any other info would be great too thanks Guys
julie

Post by julie »

They are pretty full on and love to jump,swing and play so they should have the biggest cage that you can get. They are easily amused so we used things like lids of various sizes and things like that for cookie to play with. The poo isn't runny if you mix the food up like a cookie dough. I wouldn't advise leaving a lorri with a ringneck unsupervised because of how hyper the lorries are.I will see if I can dig up some vids of cookie who is very sadly no longer with us.
Briony

Post by Briony »

I wouldn't leave them unsupervised, especially as ill have a very young budgie to tame as we'll.

Was cookie tame or did you have to tame him?

Did you have him clipped?

How long do they live?

Thanks
Huby

Post by Huby »

Rainbow Lories live for about 20 years! I'm getting a hand raised 8 week old little rainbow baby soon, and I'm so excited!!
Briony

Post by Briony »

20 years... wow I read 7 to 9 oh well

I brought scratchy home last nite and she is slowly settling in.
She is 3 to 4 years old and is a girl ( she as been laying eggs)

She isn't tame but im still undecieded what to do, she didn't try to bite me when I was trying to get her out of the traveling wood bird box thing I've got but she freaks out when I put my hand in her cage.
The cage she is in at the mo measures 15" squared and 21" high. Hopefully ill be able to get her something a bit bigger soon.

I haven't decided if ill clip her yet but im going to take her to the vet on friday to check her out and make a decision about the clipping.

Do you guys think I should try and get her a boyfriend and breed them?

Thanks guys and congrats huby :)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Thats a good start if she didn't bite you :) lol

Maybe you could try feeding her fruit and treats through the cage and see if she will take it from you.

They are so full of energy it's not funny....kinda like an energizer birdie :lol: :lol: :wink:

Oh yeah, at daylight get your earplugs ready coz they are LOUD!!! :shock: lol
They also LOVE water, so a nice sized water dish (or bath as they tend to use it for :roll: ) Mine must have their morning bath just as the sun is rising and the frost still hasn't finished freezing lol. I even saw one of mine trying to bath in their water dish that had frozen over from the night before. lol It was more like watching Tornville and Dean without the skates! lolol

If you did get her a B/F then you could raise the bubs yourself and have a nice tame one. :wink: :wink:

8)
TD

Post by TD »

I'd recommend Rainbows to anyone purely because of their entertainment value!!

They are obviously different in terms of their diet etc, but it's well worth the effort. I had never thought of keeping lorikeets until I rescued mine from the jaws of a cat a few years back when he was a baby (we have hundreds of wild lorikeets in our area). I want to breed him one day, when I get another aviary.

By the way Pinkdevil, how are the babies going??
Last edited by TD on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Going well thanks TD, just added update photos in the thread....http://indianringneck.com/board/viewtop ... 8339#48339

8)
julie

Post by julie »

They love to play with things with their feet too, we used to give cookie green beans to eat and he would lay on his back with his bean in his toes and roll around with it.