pellets or seed?

Moderator: Mods

countrygal_cc

pellets or seed?

Post by countrygal_cc »

14 days has went by since I started cupcake on the pellets. For 14 days I have mixed seed with pellets today I gave cupcake just the pellets and cupcake is just throwing the pellets out can I go ahead and just keep mixing seed with pellets or would cupcake even bother the pellets.
Pellets are so costly what do you guys think would be best? Would
it be ok just to give seed? Can I give cockatiel seed and will cupcake still stay healthy if I gave vegs and fruits?
Park outside where the air is cool...
Briony

Post by Briony »

i give my birds seed mainly and they get vedgies and fruit also and they seem to be fine :)
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Amazon use to do that too with the pallets we just went to seed and never went back to pallets, ami gets veges and fruit every day aswell and he is a healthy weight, size and his colouring is great
Sharlene and Amazon
Fah

Post by Fah »

I use nothing but quality small parrot seed, and fruit and veg. All that together is the same cost as pellets alone, and far more benefitial to the birds.

There is contention in regards to pellets in the bird world... so I am not going to go to great depth about it. But if the bird doesnt want it... there is no point putting them onto it. I have known birds to fall ill eating things that are good for them... but its stuff they only eat when there isnt anything else. Unhappy birds = sickly birds.
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

Mine love their pellets, which is their main source of food. Of course, they also get seeds, beans/rice, veggies...today we are chowing down on melon. :lol: When they were in the house throwing pellets was a favorite hobby (still is for the budgies), but they don't seem to waste so much now that they are out in the aviary.
MCS
inept

Post by inept »

Ruffle is on a mostly pellet diet and it's working out very well. I'm using Roudybush and it has really grown on him. I gave them a try and thought they tasted like apples and cinnamon, and Ruffle happens to really like apples. There were tantrums at first, but now he practically jumps out of his cage when I'm filling his dishes.

I know it sounds cruel, but try withholding. A lot of people will probably come out against me on this but it's a trick that has worked for parents and children for millennia so I figure it's OK for parents and parrots. Pick a stretch of time during which you will be able to supervise the bird continuously for 4-odd hours and withdraw all food from the cage. When the bird starts to complain that he's hungry, bring in the pellets.

Mixing the two foods together is OK but you have to gradually reduce the amount of seed mixed in until there is literally just a couple seeds left. If there's enough seed in there for the bird to subsist, it will never pick pellets over seed. Seeds are to birds as hamburgers are to kids. Pellets, on the other hand, are like Brussels sprouts or something. :wink:

Pellets are a diet unto their own but if you're going to go with seed and fresh food you need to really mind what you feed your bird and in what quantities to ensure he's getting sufficient and balanced amounts of fat, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals.

I provide seed, grains, fruits, vegetables and other "treats" separately from pellets. Ruffle's diet is substantially pellets and he gets a different little something something every day as a treat.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Sky gets his pellets, seed mix, fruits, and veggies every day. He mainly eats the pellets. Getting him to even try those didn't happen over night. You could try to wet the pellets a bit then mix them in with seed. That way, he ends up eating at least a bit of the pellets.

What worked for me was pulling out everything and keeping an eye on Sky and when he begged for food, I gave him pellets mixed with a bit of apple sauce. He ended up loving that. He loves his pellets so much now that he goes for his pellets before all else, even his seed.
Deano

Post by Deano »

I have 2 feeders in my bird cage of which one has pellets and 1 has seed, squeak luvs em both and has a feed from each, then i put another one in for treats like fruit, vegies etc then take it out when its finished or after an hour or two
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

i feed my IRN pellets mostly but there fussy and they prefere them wet