He keeps scrapping his beak

Moderator: Mods

IndianRingneckBoy

He keeps scrapping his beak

Post by IndianRingneckBoy »

Koi keeps scrapping his beak together and it makes well a scraping noise WHY?
IRN - Koi
Cats - Ozzy,Marely,Chester
Briony

Post by Briony »

mine do it as well, i think its normal, just an irn trait i guess
chobah

Post by chobah »

I am pretty sure it is a noise that they make when they are content or happy. that is what I have read and been told. my birds only do it when they are relaxed and hanging out with someone they enjoy, so I think that is right.
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

its a griding noise like if you do if with your teeth, this is fine , means they are happy and relaxed in their environment.
Sharlene and Amazon
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

Spit does this when hes tired and ready to go to bed. its like his way of saying that hes getting ready to sleep. he can spend hours doing it. the noise goes right through me and gives me goose bumps lol. he grinds his bottom part of the beak on the top part when hes all fluffed up
Fah

Post by Fah »

I happy bird.. looking after itself produces it. Its a grinding much similar to a child sucking their thumb... but with a benefit. Its like purring of a cat more precisely.

When a cat purrs, its a sign of content, being happy, and the vibrations have been proven to strengthen bone tissue.

Birds do it as a sign of content, being happy, and it keeps their beaks ground and properly formed.... its also how rabbits grind their teeth... unlike humans.. beaks grow all their lifetime. And they need to be maintained.
Raja's_mom

Post by Raja's_mom »

All birds do this not just Ringnecks Wait till you have six birds all grinding their beaks at the same time. I've gotten used to it now but when I first got my Amazon I thought I was going to go crazy it reminded me of fingernails on a chalkboardLOL now I kind of like it because I know my birds are all happy healthy and content. So what could be better then hearing them all grind their beaks.
laine

Post by laine »

Smokey grinds his beak. It always happens whilst he's going to sleep. One of his most favorite places to do it is on my laptop. I am on the internet (either ebay or here LOL) he sits in the top left corner - ALWAYS - He puffs up, goes all fat & fluffy, ginds his beak and drifts of to sleep. Sometimes I wonder if he likes the clicking of the keyboard keys as sometimes he wakes up briefly when I stop typing.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:wink: The sign of a content and happy bird. :D But sometimes it can sound like fingernails down a blackboard! :shock: I remember when we first heard Jibby do it. The lights were out and it was after dark, all was quiet, I remember tippy toeing around the house trying to find out what the noise was, I thought it was a mouse or a possum in the house!! Silly me, I didnt know much about birds back then. :roll:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year