to stud or not to stud

Moderator: Mods

chobah

to stud or not to stud

Post by chobah »

I had a recent proposition, from someone in my area who also owns ringnecks, that they would like to borrow my older male louis for studding. this would be a several month ordeal for him. I am wondering if I should do it or not. I have of course thought of drawing up a legal contract, so that he would have to be returned to me in the end. I would hate toi lose him, but I do not think this person would do anything terrible like stealing my boy. I don't want money from her, but I do want a baby out of the deal. anyone have any thoughts or feelings?
Fah

Post by Fah »

Unless your friends with the person... these things cause alot of time and effort in the end. If the bird passed away (angry partner.. shocking weather.. accident.. ill health) it causes a great deal of problems emotionally.. and possibly legally.. and you will never know if the bird "died" "flew away" or "being kept by the new owner" or "sold off".

When you think about the time... enjoyment.. effort that you would go through to work out all the details.. then not have anything really to do with the process other than its your male... the benefit of one baby seems not to be that great in comparison to buying a new young bub.

Trading birds to anyone for whatever reason, unless you truely know them.. is a risk. You have to weigh up the best against the worst.. and also figure the effort mentally you would have to go through just to get a young bub from it. If its all worth it for a young one.. then go for it. But you cant control a bird you have nothing to do with for a few months.. and its a long time to be honest.
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Please keep in mind that you may lose him in that he may bond to the female and not WANT to come back to his pet lifestyle.

If it were my decision I wouldn't... simply because I want my boy to stay bonded to me and breeding can be very taxing on your parrot.
-Chamon-

Fah

Post by Fah »

If he is a pet, I can 100% guarantee you he wont be that pet when he comes back.

And as D said, there is a good chance they may prefer the parnet they get put with and you could stress the bird. Its not natural to stud a bird and its hardly common for "happy anding" stories to happen from it.

I know im quite negative about it... buts its just thats how these things tend to go :/
chobah

Post by chobah »

i was kinda thinking that myself. Louis I consider a pet, but he is a lot harder to handle than most of my birds. I'm not too nervouse about the legal aspect, but I am a bit put off by the health risk to him. he would have to spend a quarrentine by himself, and that would really mess with him. he is accustomed to being part of a flock with my birds. thanks for the advise guys, I think I will be keeping him home, I was just kinda put on the spot by this person, getting a new baby isnt a dire need of mine because I just got my new boy toki a few months ago anyway.