Am I doing the right thing on disciplining my IRN?

Moderator: Mods

Karla010507

Am I doing the right thing on disciplining my IRN?

Post by Karla010507 »

Hello everyone, :?

Pepe is 4 months old and I enjoy him being on my shoulder when I put him there myself using the "UP" command so he can get up on my hand and then on my shoulder, but the problem consists of him flying to my shoulder whenever I walk by his cage without me putting him there myself. Whenever he does that I say "NO" Pepe and just put him back on his stick on top of his cage because I feel that if he keeps on doing that without me putting him back he will walk all over me and think he is the boss of me. Also, the other day my 7 year old daughter walked by his cage and he flew to her shoulder and bit her ear not hard because it did not drew blood but a nibble which made her cry. I do not think he did it maliciously but IRN's when they explore they nibble and he nibbled on her ear that made her cry. My way of disciplining him was once again saying "NO" Pepe and putting him in his cage for a Time-Out for a liittle while because he did made my daughter cry and I wanted him to understand that his action was wrong so he would not do that again. That is why I want to set limits and boundaries so, he will know what is right and what is wrong. So, can anyone tell me if I am using the correct way or wrong way of disciplining my Pepe :?: Any comments or suggestions would really be appreciated Thank you.
Thanxs
Attentively,

Karla and my wonderful IRN Pepe
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

i believe you are the only one that can say what you are doing is right or wrong, i belive you are doing it right as this is what i do with my boy a strong NO and put away somewhere weather its his cage or the bathroom i always go back to him a few min later and i get kisses.

But then again my boy cant fly so i dont have the porblem of him just flying to shoulders.
I hope you find a way that works best for you and your family
Sharlene and Amazon
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

From everything I have read and have been told, allowing birds to sit on your shoulder is telling them that they rule you.
So in Pepes eyes he is now becoming your boss and will try and dominate you in the only way he knows how....biting and nibbling. :)

Also you could be sending Pepe mixed signals by one minute allowing him to sit on your shoulder (when YOU want him to) the next minute he is told NO. In his eyes he could be getting a bit confused...can I or can't I? :)

He is becoming of age in the "Bluffing stage" as well, another hurdle to cross, and will definately challenge you and your family. Especially your daughter as she is young and reacts differently to adults would in the same situation (our pain tolerance is higher than kids.....sometimes lol :) )

If you do a search on here, you should find plenty of trial and errors in riding this time out. :)

Good luck!

8)
Last edited by pinkdevil on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karla010507

Post by Karla010507 »

:D Thanks to all that responded to my post. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated and taken into consideration in the way I handle my IRN Pepe. :)
Thanxs
Attentively,

Karla and my wonderful IRN Pepe